29) I Do What I Want

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN NARUTO Sorrryyyyy the update a week thing didn't work out as well as I'd hoped... So ima aim for a couple chapters over the next few DAYS to make up for my negligence, so keep an eye out for those... also they'll be leaving the village with Tazuna soon so we can finally get this ball rolling~

ALSO
Shout out to ShadowsWonderland for making me update ^^ You should check out her story 'Get Me The Hell Away From These Weirdos', it has a pretty pink sunset cover, can't miss it, and it's a hella great story annnddd she updates more often than me at the moment Lol

ALSO I've entered this story in the NarutoWattyAwards under the General Naruto Category so if thou dubs this story worthy you should totally go vote for it <3

Ok here we go, sorry for holding you back...

Kida's POV
The edge of my blade sliced through the air like a hot knife through butter. The calm orange of the early morning sun glinted along the sharpened metal and reflected flashes of white light as it sliced cleanly through the tall stalks of wheat. The smell of the clean farm air was only accompanied by the faint musky scent of earth and wheat. The soft swishing of the cool breeze drifting over the stalk heads symphonised with the regular humming of metal as it cut through the crops.

The repeated swinging of the scythe had begun to burn at the muscles of my arms and torso, and a small collection of sweat was collecting on my forehead. The serene familiarity of the task had a calm hold over me, even as the warming sun got higher and my muscles became tighter.

"No, Kida, swing more like this!" I was snapped from my solitude by Ms Takashimas distant voice.

I glanced over to where she was harvesting with her own scythe almost fifty metres away and observed her motion. "I am swinging like that!"

"No you're not or I wouldn't have to tell you how you should be swinging it!"

"But this way covers more ground with each swing!"

"That way also prevents you from cutting closer to the ground! Bend your knees more when you swing!"

"Just focus on your own spot!"

"Don't be a brat!"

"Don't be a hag!"

I sensed the airborne object as it approached and tilted my head to the side in a swift dodge before snapping my neck around to glare at the woman. Ignoring the soft thud of what I'm presuming to have been a rock as it landed on the ground behind me.

The old woman stood leaning against her scythe, grey hair pulled back loosely in a bun, and skin crinkling at the corners of her eyes and mouth as she smiled subtly back at me.

She looks different to how I thought she looked for some reason. She seems younger and stronger. Not so much the shifty, frail woman that I had expected to see when I turned around, the lady that she had slowly been becoming in the last month or so before... before what? My mind just blanked, had she ever looked any different to how she did now?

But this feeling was still there, like between today and yesterday she had somehow changed. It wasn't even necessarily how she looked, more the feeling I was getting from being with her. Why do I have this feeling, like I need to keep my eyes on her so she doesn't leave me, like she's just going to suddenly disappear.

"Well, if you're not going to retaliate, may as well get back to work." She spoke with humour in her voice as she readied her scythe for another swing. I don't know how long I had continued to stare before shaking myself free from whatever trance had me watching the old woman like a weirdo, and began working on crops again, subtly changing my stance to how the hag had said.