16) Tripped??

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN NARUTO

Kakashi's POV

"Come on Kakashi Sensei! Come have lunch with us! It's our treat!" Naruto's overly energetic voice rang through my ears as we walked back from our gardening mission on one of the surrounding farms.

"Yeah Kakashi Sensei, and hey, how about that girl, Kida, comes along as well" Sakura suggests not so subtly.

I sighed as I shifted my gaze skyward, my hands dug into my pockets as I walked lazily with my three students on the dirt path as we got closer to the village.

The three of them had been whispering and exchanging shifty glances all morning as we pulled weeds from the garden beds. A couple times Naruto and Sakura tried to instigate conversation related to Kida, and Sasuke would shift closer to listen, but I wasn't really interested in entertaining their self-appointed information gathering mission today.

And now they're offering to buy Kida and I lunch... They're getting desperate; I don't know why it even matters...

I just wanted to get home and check on Kida, I wonder if she ended up going exploring or something, I hope she doesn't wander too far... A sudden wave of nauseating concern that I've only been experiencing since yesterday washed over me and I felt my muscles tense as time seemed to slow down around me.

What if she's lost? She doesn't know her way around the village very well yet. What if someone gives her trouble? What if she runs in to Guy? ...Or, Kami forbid, Lee... What if she's hungry? Was that bowl of cereal enough to sustain her until lunch time? How much do kids usually eat? Oh no, did I give her the spare key to get back into the apartment? What if she's locked out?

A new level of whatever this feeling is hits me and I feel my blood run colder... What if she's gone? Just yesterday she tried to escape the village. What if today she decided to do it again? And I left her alone...

"Kakashi Sensei, are you okay? You seem tense" Sakura's concerned voice snapped me out of my daze and I noticed that we were back in the village. I looked down at them as they stared up at me with confusion and interest.

Flashing a close eyed smile at them I replied, keeping my tone light as the unsettling feeling slowly drifted away. "Of course, everything's fine. I'll go get Kida and meet you three at Ichiraku Ramen, okay?" They would have ended up stalking us again anyway... so may as well get a free meal out of it...

Naruto and Sakura grinned as Sasuke smirked, all looking pleased with themselves... these are my students...

As they continued walking further into the village to the ramen stand I bolted towards the apartment. As I reached the door, I fumbled with my keys before finally managing to unlock the door and swing it open.

I was met with silence.

My heartbeat quickened as I stepped through the threshold, wide eyed, as I scanned the apartment. "Kida?" I called out, trying to keep my voice even. The silence was tormenting.

Kids make noise right? ... She's not here...

Suddenly my eyes focus on a small navy back pack resting under the coffee table and black sheathed katana leaning against the couch, I sighed as relief overcame me. Well, that was stupid... She wouldn't leave the village without her back pack and weapon.

But where is she? Not even thinking about it, I bit into my thumb and performed a summoning jutsu. In a cloud of smoke, a small, brown ninja hound appeared in the living room.

"Hey Kakashi, what's up?" Pakkun's deep, monotone voice inquired.

"Hey, Pakkun" I replied, trying not to get myself worked up again. "Can you help me find the owner of that backpack?" I asked pointing to it.