28) Called it

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN NARUTO Thanks for the speedy responses guys :) And I've very recently promised to commit to more regular updates, so lets cross our fingers~ Enjoy~

3rd Person POV
~4 hours later~

"YOU TWO ARE LATE!" The blonde and pink haired Genin screamed in unison at the silver haired duo as the last of their group hung back and observed the scene unamused.
"Well you see" the masked girl began.
"They were repainting the buildings the route we took" her look-a-like continued.
"And there were too many open ladders"
"We couldn't risk possibly walking under one"
"So we had to take the long way around"

"YOU'RE LYING!"

"Anyway, let's get started on today's mission"

~Flash forward~
Kida's POV
"So, I know I'm new to this whole ninja thing, but this isn't exactly the kind of 'mission' I thought we'd be doing" I stated absently leaning on my designated rake and swiping the fringe from my sweating forehead.
"Exactly! See, Kida gets it! We should be fighting rogue ninja and rescuing damsels by now!" Naruto cried out in response, also straightening up from his rake work.
"Well, I don't know if I'd go that far-"
"Believe it!"
*sigh*

"Well, Naruto's an idiot. But you wouldn't know this yet Kida, cause you skipped the academy..." My fellow female teammate began explaining the mission rankings, that Kakashi kind of already explained, but I thought I'd let her go anyway. "And that's why us Genin have to do missions like these" She finished looking to me to make sure I understood.

I sighed again, been doing that a lot today... been doing that a lot since I got to this village... maybe it's something in the air? "Eh, fair enough I guess." I replied leaning heavier against the rake handle and crossing one leg over the other as I angled against it.

I didn't mind this girl, I was a bit worried at the beginning that we wouldn't get along cause of all the glaring, but I guess it's hard to hate on someone when they've been hospitalised, twice. And she's actually really smart which really breaks things up from my time spent with Naruto.

"Hey 'silent brooding type', you got any input to this conversation" I swung my gaze to Sasuke, who worked a bit distantly from the rest of us, he had been digging his hoe into the ground a bit too violently to be considered healthy.

His black eyes glanced up to meet mine with a blank expression. "I feel no need to contribute to this pointless conversation, we should all just keep working to get this done and go home for the day." Was all he decided to grace us with before slamming his hoe back into the compacted earth.

I sighed heavily again and glanced around at the scenery before us. The field we were in was bordered by thick wooden fence posts, which I leant my katana on so it wouldn't get knocked while I worked, and tightly strung chicken wire. It obviously hadn't been cultivated for at least the last 2 years, so the ground was hard packed and came up brittle. It was pretty small for a crop field, but evidently big enough that the farmer didn't want to do it himself. But from what I saw he was pretty old, maybe the tough earth would be too much for his brittle bones.
Beyond this field, there was an expanse more with already flowering crops in them, and beyond those just the surrounding mountains. It was a clear day, sunny with a cool breeze.

I looked to my team mates, Sasuke was still hacking away, Sakura scraping her tool along the surface, Naruto digging one massive hole with the hoe he had swapped with Sakura for, and Kakashi no where in sight and hadn't  even for the last two hours...