ten

࿔*:・ten ࿔*:・

°. *࿐ ༻༺ ࿐°. *

Carter shivered as a cold gust of wind flew past her, and she quickly shuffled closer to Bella, both of them sitting in the door of Tyler's van while Angela hung out of the passenger side.

They watched as Jessica, Mike, and Eric collected their surfing equipment. Eric glanced at the beach and the rainy weather sceptically, "I don't know if it's worth it anymore." he mumbled. Mike nodded silently at his side, agreeing with him.

"Come on!" Jessica protested, "we drove so long out here. I'm at least paddling out," she said to the two boys before smirking slightly, "you're all babies."

Carter turned to look at Angela as she spoke, "So I keep thinking that Eric's gonna ask me to prom, and then he just... doesn't." she sighed, disappointed.

"You should ask him," Bella suggested as she handed Carter a piece of liquorice, "yeah," Carter added, "take control," she said, causing Bella to nod.

"You're a strong, independent woman," Bella told her sternly.

Angela bit her lip, unsure, "I'am?" she asked her two friends, causing them both to nod.

"Yes," Bella told her just as Jessica came up to them and turned to Angela, asking her for help. Just then, the two girls heard a familiar voice call their names, and they turned to see Jacob walking in their direction with two other boys who seemed around his age.

"Jake," Carter greeted, getting up and wrapping her arms around the younger boy, who seemed to have gotten more muscular since the last time she'd seen him.

"Guys, this is Jacob." Bella introduced the boy to her friends, who simply waved at him, and Bella turned her attention back to him, "What, are you stalking us?" She teased the boy with a little smirk, causing him to scoff, his arm still around Carter's shoulders."You're on our Rez, remember?" He replied, pointing at himself and Carter, who smiled cheekily.
"You guys surfing?" He asked the two girls, and Bella quickly shook her head, "definitely not," she chuckled. And Carter nodded along with her, "You know I get sick easily," she told him.

"Hey, you could keep Bella company while I convince Carter to come with us," Jessica said to Jacob before smirking, "her date bailed." She told the group. Eric stopped in his tracks. "Woah, what date?" He asked the brunette. Carter frowned at that; Bella had not told her anything about inviting someone.

Jessica smiled. "she invited Edward," Carter turned towards her friend sharply. "You invited Edward Cullen?" She asked with wide eyes. Bella looked down, embarrassed, "just to be nice," she mumbled and Angela put a hand on her shoulder, "I think it's sweet she invited him," Angela smiled at her, sympathetically, "no one ever does." She said.

Mike scoffed at that, "yeah, cause Cullen's a freak," he rolled his eyes as one of Jacob's friends broke into a grin, "You got that right," he laughed, high fixing his friend. Bella turned to look at him, "You know the Cullens?" She asked, causing the boy to give her a cold glare, "the Cullens don't come here." He told her, causing Jake to put his hand out to stop him. These were their tribe legends, and no one was supposed to know them.

The group broke up after that; Jessica and the others went off to surf while Angela settled in the warmth of the van, and Bella and Jake drifted away from them, walking along the shore. Carter watched them walk off as she settled on a high rock and soaked up the little sunlight that peaked through the clouds.

°. *࿐ ༻༺ ࿐°. *

The two girls sat in Carter's window seat, staring up at the stars when Bella turned to look at Carter, "so I asked Jake what his friend meant," she told Carter, who looked at her in confusion, Bella rolled her eyes, "You know, what he said about the Cullens," she cleared.

Carter turned back to look at the stars. "Oh," she said simply, "what did he tell you?" She asked her, causing Bella to shake her head, "said he wasn't supposed to say anything," she told her exactly what Jake had said to her before turning to look at her again, "he did tell me that Quileutes are supposedly descended from wolves," Carter snorted at her amazed expression, "yeah it's just this stupid tribe legend." She said as she opened her window and got up before walking over to her desk and settling there once more.

She took a deep breath as she turned her attention to Bella completely, "so the story goes that the Cullens are descended from some," Carter struggled to find the right words before she shook her head and settled for what came to mind, "'enemy clan'. Jake's great-grandfather was the chief, at that time, and he had found them hunting on Quileute land. But they claimed to be different. So we made a treaty with them, they wouldn't hunt on Quileute land, and we wouldn't expose them. For what they truly were." She told her.

Bella shook her head, confused, "but I thought they just moved here," she said and Carter rose an eyebrow and smirked, "or maybe they just moved back." She whispered in a spooky voice.

Bella went quiet for a moment, thinking about what her friend had just said, "so what are they?" She asked. Carter laughed softly, "it's just a scary story, Bella." She got up, "come on, bedtime." She smiled at her, pulling her up and both of them settled in her bed, Carter's back turned towards her.

And just as she dozed off, a distant howl echoed through the forest and Carter wondered, how much of that story was actually true?

°. *࿐ ༻༺ ࿐°. *
Shortest chap I've written yet. I thought it would be better to have Carter tell Bella the story so.

Not edited.