sixteen

࿔*:・sixteen ࿔*:・

°. *࿐ ༻༺ ࿐°. *

Carter turned around to make sure that Jasper and Alice were distracted as Bella waved down a taxi outside the hotel. She hurried back inside to talk to Carter. She clutched her bag tightly, going through her things until she finally grabbed the pepper spray that Charlie had given her.

"Cover for me," Bella said and made to run back out but Carter grabbed her hand, "are you crazy? I'm not letting you go alone, Bella." She exclaimed.

"Carter. He said he'll kill mom if I bring anyone else." Bella protested, desperation clear in her eyes. Carter shook her head, "I have a feeling he won't be if it's me with you. C'mon." Carter said. Bella stared at her friend for a moment before nodding firmly and both the girls ran out the exit.

As soon as they settled in, Bella gave the driver the address and rubbed her hands together, anxious to get to her mom. Carter grabbed her hand, giving it a gentle squeeze and closed her eyes.

It didn't take them too long to get to the ballet studio and Carter quickly paid the driver, letting him keep the change.

She stood on the sidewalk next to Bella. She had not thought about it before but this was probably going to die here. A mere mortal, standing in front of a three-hundred-year-old killing machine who no doubt, wanted to drain her dry. She took in a deep breath and turned to look at Bella who hid a pepper spray bottle in her pocket. Bella nodded at Carter, "ready?" She asked and the Quileute scoffed, "no." She shook her head.

She shook her hands anxiously and started walking up to the studio with Bella right at her tail. The entire place was quiet and untouched.

Carter couldn't help but wonder if this is what people meant when they said 'calm before the storm' because it sure felt like it.

As the two stepped inside the ballet studio, they were met with an empty room, mirrors lining each wall. Carter stood still for a second, looking around the room. She snapped out of her trance when Renee's panicked voice rang out clearly in the room, "Bella! Where are you?"

Carter whirled around, trying to find the source where the voice was coming from. She grabbed Bella's hand, pulled her along and quickly ran to the supply closet. Carter threw the door open, hoping to see Bella's mother.

She frowned as a video played on a small TV. Renee's voice rang out and a seven-year-old Bella was shown on screen. Carter cursed loudly once she realised that they'd just stepped into a trap.

A cold laugh sounded from behind them and the two turned around, trying to find the nomad immortal who continued to chuckle lightheartedly.

"I thought I told you to come alone, Bella?" He said, smirking at Carter, "not that I mind her being here now."

He focused on the video, "ah, this is my favourite part. You were a very stubborn child, weren't you?" 

Carter felt Bella grasp her wrist tightly, "she's not here." She stated, relieved but worried at the same time.

James sighed, disappointed, "you made this too easy," Carter yelped as he suddenly appeared beside them, shoving a camera in their face.

"I wanted to make things a bit more entertaining," he smirked, "so I'm going to film our little time together. Carter certainly made things more interesting."