nineteen

࿔*:・nineteen ࿔*:・

°. *࿐ ༻༺ ࿐°. *

The Cullen's didn't show up to school the next day. Carter looked at Bella, concerned as they sat together during lunch. She turned to look at the empty table where the family usually sat and bit her lip, worried about Jasper.

She had thought about calling him or sending him an email but had decided against it, knowing that if he wanted to talk he would've contacted her himself.

So when Bella dropped her off at home that afternoon, she was only slightly surprised to see him waiting for her in the backyard. She hurried outside to meet the vampire. Jasper stood with his hands in his pockets and his golden hair covered his face as he looked down at the stone he kicked around.

"Jasper," Carter called, causing the man to look up and smile. Only the smile didn't reach his eyes. Carter looked down in disappointment as she walked towards him, "I was worried about you, Jaz. You scared me." She said gently.

Jasper swallowed heavily, "take a walk with me." He mumbled quietly and Carter only nodded, following the man as they fell into step together, walking up the familiar path to the waterfall they'd found.

Carter kept stealing glances at him, hoping to find out what he was thinking. It didn't take them too long to get to the waterfall and Jasper helped her find her footing before they both settled on a rock big enough for them both.

Jasper cleared his throat, "um," he started, and Carter turned to look at him, waiting for him to continue, "We're- we're leaving... Forks." He said, looking at her to see her reaction to the news.

Carter stared at him for a whole minute, her mouth open as she couldn't think of anything to say to him.

"Oh." She whispered, looking away from him and back towards the waterfall. Jasper kept staring at her, hoping she'd say something. But she didn't.

"Carlisle's supposed to be ten years older than how he looks. People have started to notice." He said. Carter still hadn't looked at him, he sighed heavily, opening his mouth to say something else but Carter stopped him, "You don't have to lie to me you know." She mumbled quietly.

"I'm sorry," Jasper sighed, turning entirely towards her, which finally caused her to look at him.

"Nothing I'll say is gonna stop you, is it?" She asked, tears brimming in her eyes. Jasper pursed his lips, shaking his head no. Carter nodded in response, "Where will you go?" She asked him and Jasper paused, "I... can't tell you that." He groaned. Carter snorted, "Relax, I'm not Bella. It's not like I'll come looking for you." Carter became quiet all of a sudden.

"Bella..." she mumbled, "I guess Edward's with her right now?" She questioned and Jasper simply nodded. She'd have to go check on her friend later then.

"When will you come back?" Carter asked. Jasper looked at her sadly, "Probably not for a long time." He whispered. A tear slipped out of Carter's eye, one that she immediately wiped away.

"I'll miss you." She whispered, causing Jasper to wrap his arms around her shoulders, "I'll miss you too, darling." He mumbled in her ear. Carter squeezed him tightly, not wanting to let go. He kissed her forehead before pulling away.

As soon as he did, a gush of wind flew past Carter and Jasper disappeared from her sight. Forever.

She exhaled loudly, trying not to let her tears fall but was unsuccessful. Carter sat near the waterfall for at least an hour, sobs racking her body as she tried to control them. Soon there were no tears left. So she got up and slowly walked back home.