Prologue Part 1: Hope's Peak Academy

The sun was shining on the bustling urban scene of Tokyo, Japan. In the center of the town, there stood a tall building. That building was Hope's Peak Academy, a government-funded school that brings in top students from every single field imaginable. If you come here and be able to graduate, you're automatically set for life. With hundreds of years of tradition, it sends the cream of the crop into the workforce every single year. The building was built to raise hope for the nation's future. Which makes Hope's Peak a pretty fitting name.

And there, standing in front of the gates of the building...

Was her.

Her name is Hanako Yasashiku. Today was the day that she would be attending the school dedicated to ultimates with the rest of the 78th Class. Looking at her letter, she started reflecting on the events leading up to this moment.

Hanako is especially known for her talent for playing chess. She was able to beat anyone who played against her. People say it's just luck, others say skill, and the rumors say that she or her wealthy parents bribed the opponent to lose. If someone asked her, she would say she uses her strategy. When Hanako got her acceptance letter, her parents were delighted and enrolled her immediately before she even got to think it over. Regardless of whether she wanted to or not, she was here.

Hanako continued to stare at the building. It was a lot bigger in real life than in photos, and grand too. Hanako couldn't take her eyes off it. As she continued to stare at the building in front of her, the nervous feeling continued to grow.

Pull yourself together Hanako, she thought to herself. There's no reason to get nervous. You can do this! Besides, you can't just stand here forever. Clutching her acceptance letter in her hand, she looked over at it one more time. It said that there would be a meeting for all incoming students in the main hall at 8 a.m. She was half an hour early, so she thought she could explore the school for a bit. Taking a deep breath, Hanako walked into the building.

However, as soon as she took her first step inside the main hall, her vision started to warp and twist around. She suddenly felt dizzy, and her vision quickly blurred.

"Ngh! What the..."

Before she knew what was going on, everything went black.

PROLOGUE

Welcome to Despair

(First Person POV)

"Ugh..."

I was starting to regain consciousness after the whole blackout thing. I opened my eyes and lifted my head to see that I was sitting at a desk in some sort of classroom.

"How did I get here?" I asked myself. Maybe someone saw me pass out and took me to the classroom? That means I'm still in Hope's Peak right? But why didn't they take me to a nurse's office? And why is no one here? A million questions ran through my head. But the main question I have right now is...

What the heck is up with the classroom?

There were huge metal plates attached with giant bolts where I presume the windows should be. I went up to one of the plates and tried to open one of the bolts.

"Ugh! Ow ow ow! It's bolted on tight!" I said, looking at my red hands.

There was also a surveillance camera in one corner just staring at me. I heard that Hope's Peak Academy has top-notch security, maybe it's for extra precaution.