Chapter 33: Free Time Event #7

=Free Time=

Toko Fukawa:

I was walking down the hallway when I heard Toko muttering.

"When are w-we ever gonna get out of h-here? N-Not that I'd have much to look forward to i-if I 'did' get out..."

"Oh really? That's quite a shame. Do you want to talk about it?" I asked.

"What, more p-pity? Aren't you such a g-good person, showing me all this pity...?" Toko spat.

I spent some time with Toko.

"Hey...! I want to t-talk to you," Toko said.

Well that's a first...

"Are you l-listening to me?" Toko asked.

"Now I am. Go on," I urged.

"I just w-wanted to clear something up. I mean, I 'h-have' to clear it up. What I said before... I d-don't want you to get the wrong idea, o-okay?"

"Said about what?"

"About not having any love in r-real life. I don't want you thinking I-I don't have any experience a-at all! Even someone like m-me has...gone on a date."

"Really?"

"It's true! I'm not l-lying! I'll tell you all about it if y-you really wanna hear!"

"No thanks."

"I was in junior h-high, and out of nowhere this g-guy from another class just asked me o-out," Toko started.

Guess I'm hearing it anyway...

"He asked m-me to make plans for the date," Toko continued. "I stayed up all n-night for three days planning it. And what I came up with w-was... It was our f-first date, so I wanted to do something t-traditional. I decided on going to see s-something."

"What did you see?" I asked.

"Are you stupid!? When you're talking t-traditional date stuff, what do you THINK it w-was!?"

"Alright, alright! Don't yell at me! You planned to go see a movie, right?" I questioned.

"Y-Yeah. It's pretty cool, right? You go w-watch it, then afterward talk about it all p-passionately... In other words, it's i-ideal first-date material," Toko explained. "Next I had to d-decide what to go see. Since we were in junior h-high, we couldn't go see some kid's m-movie, right? I wanted something really a-action packed. So we d-decided to check out a Seijun Suzuki t-triple feature. "Tokyo Drifter," "Fighting Elegy ", and "Branded to Kill." I-Irresistible for any guy, right?"

"Um..."

"You don't know who S-Seijun Suzuki is!? He's world-famous for h-his one-of-a-kind aesthetic, his u-unique blending of color!"

"Well sorry for not being a movie fanatic!"

"The killer's the main character, and he gets r-riled up by the smell of cooking rice. A murder masterpiece!" Toko explained.

"I can't speak for every guy when I say this, but I don't think there's probably not a lot of guys who have any idea who he is," I commented.

"Ngggh! You're right... I learned that f-fact the hard way. He musta h-hated it, cuz he disappeared right i-in the middle of the first movie!"

"He did that!? That's terrible!"

"W-Well, it is what it is. Besides, I found out i-it was just a dare, anyway..."

"A dare?"

"Yeah. He lost a b-bet with his friends, so he had to go o-out on a date with me... And there I was, s-spending three days to come up with something for us to d-do... This is all y-your fault! You made me remember that terrible t-trauma!"