Chapter 4: Body Discovery Aftermath

To Survive

Deadly Life

Sayaka was dead.

I knew this would happen sooner or later, but I wasn't mentally prepared for it. I screamed so loud that I barely heard it myself. I just stared at Sayaka's body, unable to get my eyes off it.

I heard the footsteps of the others coming into the room.

"Hanako! What on earth is goin-OH MY GOSH!" Taka yelled when he saw the body.

Soon the room was filled with screams, cries, and panic. But over the loud noises, the monitor played.

*Ding dong dong ding*

Everyone went silent as they turned their heads towards the monitor screen as Monokuma appeared.

"A body has been discovered! After a certain amount of time, which you may use however you like, the class trial will begin!"

The monitor turned off, and Monokuma appeared out of nowhere.

"Wohohohoho! Finally! Someone is finally dead!" Monokuma cheered as he did a little dance.

"Cut this crap out, you little shit! What the heck was that announcement about!?" Mondo yelled.

"Geez, no need to get your hair in a twist. What you just heard was the body announcement. When three people find a body, the body announcement will play, and the investigation will start. And then, when the investigation time is up, the class trial will start. But before we do that, please make your way to the gym for an important announcement," Monokuma said.

"And leave our friend here!? I don't think so!" Taka said. The others protested as well until the voice of reason spoke up.

"It's best to do as he says. We don't want any more trouble," Kyoko said.

Everyone went silent.

"Good then. I'll be waiting," Monokuma then disappeared.

We silently walked to the gym while Hiro carried Makoto on his back. Once we all got there, Hiro placed Makoto on the bleachers while everyone spread out in the gym. Some were standing, some were sitting. I was also sitting trying to get the image of Sayaka's corpse out of my head.

Sometime had gone by, and Makoto began to open his eyes.

"Ah! You're awake! Finally! Are you okay?" Hina asked.

"Now's no time for sleeping. Get your ass up!" Mondo ordered.

"Huh...?" Makoto looked confused.

"You were unconscious, dude. I had to carry you back here," Hiro said.

"It's no surprise, considering what happened," Sakura said.

"What...happened?" Makoto asked before he realized what happened. "Gh-! Grraaah!"

"H-Hey, are you okay!?" Hina asked again.

"So it wasn't a dream?" Makoto asked. "What I saw... It was real...?"

"That's right. It really did happen," Byakuya confirmed. "Sayaka...is dead."

Makoto's eyes began to widen up in fear. He took off running, but I managed to grab onto his arm.

"Makoto! Where are you going?" I asked.

"I have to see for myself! I have to see if Sayaka is-! If Sayaka is...!" Makoto trailed off.

"You can check once, twice, a thousand times. Sayaka is completely and irrevocably dead," Byakuya said with no remorse.

"No! I have to see for myself!" Makoto yelled as he tried to wiggle out of my grip.