Chapter 13: Deep Dark Embarrassing Secrets

A few minutes later, everyone arrived at the gym at Monokuma's order.

"Hmm... Asking us to gather together all of a sudden like this... What could he possibly want?" Taka inquired.

"Indeed. What might await us this time?" Celeste asked.

"Hmhmhm. He keeps things interesting, that's for certain," Byakuya chuckled.

"How is that funny? Can't you smile like a normal person once in a while? Like how the housewife on a classic TV show smiles at the end of an episode?" Hifumi requested.

"There's something totally messed up with you if you can laugh at a time like this!" Hina yelled.

"Which of us is 'actually' "messed up," hmm?" Byakuya asked.

"Wh-What's that supposed to mean...?" Hina asked.

"Nothing in particular. Just admiring, that's all. I don't want to kill anyone. But I also don't want to stay here, living in blind denial day after day. I was just admiring how you could live like that and still keep your sanity," Byakuya said.

"I'm not in denial..."

"That reminds me. Remember how you kept talking about how the police or whoever would come help us? How'd that turn out? It seems to me there's no sign whatsoever of possible rescue."

"Th-That's just... I wonder what actually happened."

"It's strange, that's true. There's no way the police wouldn't know about it. We're right in the middle of a major urban area," Kyoko said.

"The police suck!" Hifumi yelled.

"On the contrary, the mastermind may be just that powerful, to take control even of the police..." Celeste said.

"Oh! This might not be related, but--" Hiro began to speak, but Toko cut him off.

"Then don't say it."

"Nope, gonna say it!" Hiro said. "It's about last night. I was near the main hall just staring off into space. When all of a sudden, I heard it."

"You heard what?" Chihiro asked.

"A sound that... I don't really know what it was..." Hiro said.

"Wh-What kind of sound?" Taka inquired.

"Well like I said, I don't really know. But if I 'had' to describe it...it was like...a construction site, I guess?" Hiro guessed.

"A construction site?" Makoto repeated.

"I mean, I could just be making that up. I only just barely heard anything..." Hiro mumbled.

"Then you d-definitely made it up. M-Must've just been the sound of the ocean in th-that head of your..." Toko muttered, but the familiar voice of the build-a-bear reject cut her off.

"Say what!? Whatchoo talkin' about, Toko!?" Monokuma asked as the students turned to the podium to see Monokuma pop out from behind.

"He's arrived..." Kyoko mumbled.

"What Hiro heard wasn't the sound of construction...but it 'could' have been an explosion!" Monokuma explained.

"Huh?" Makoto looked confused.

"Or maybe a machine gun! Puhuhu... That can kinda sound like construction in a way!" Monokuma continued.

"What are you talking about...?" Makoto asked.

"Ah-ah-ah! Beyond this point my mouth is zipped, my lips are sealed, I am fully puckered! It's a secret little secret!" Monokuma said.

"Fine, then let's move on to what you 'can' tell us. Why did you call us all here?" Kyoko asked.