Chapter 41: Dismantling Monokuma

When I opened the door, there stood Byakuya, Hiro, Hina, and Toko.

"Well, hello there. Here to have a sleepover?" I joked.

"Now's not the time for jokes. There's been a strange development. Everyone, follow me to the gym at once," Byakuya ordered.

The rest of us followed him to the gym as he ordered and there, he showed us an unusual scene: Monokuma was lying on the floor motionless, his red eye not shining as it used to. It was as if he shut down completely. He definitely looked like a stuffed bear now.

"Just before the nighttime announcement went off, I went to the gym to talk to Monokuma to see if he found anything about Kyoko's disappearance. And that's when I found him here just like that, motionless and not reacting at all. So I waited till the nighttime announcement played, and yet he still lay there motionless. So I rounded up the rest of you," Byakuya explained.

"Wait. If Monokuma isn't working, then what about the nighttime announcement?" Hiro asked.

"That was obviously just a recording," Byakuya answered.

"That makes sense. I mean, Monokuma has been saying the same thing over and over again," Hina said.

"But anyway, don't you guys think it's so strange? What could cause this to happen?" Hina questioned.

"Do you think Monokuma broke or something?" Hiro guessed.

"Well the only way we'll find out for sure... Is to disassemble him," Byakuya said.

"Disassemble him!?" The rest of us repeated in shock.

"You heard me. This is now our chance to see how this thing works," Byakuya said as he pulled out a tool kit from his suit jacket and tossed it to Hiro, who caught it. "Let's see how it moves, what sets it off... See what makes it tick."

"Oh t-the way you said that m-makes me weak in the knees," Toko drooled.

"So we're really gonna do this, huh?" Hina asked.

"Yes. And we're going to get to the bottom of this even if it takes us all night," Byakuya declared.

"Wait a second! Shouldn't we get Makoto as well?" I asked.

"We went to his room before we stopped by yours, but he didn't answer," Byakuya explained.

"He's probably just a heavy sleeper," Hiro guessed.

"We'll try to wake him up again in a bit. Now then, to work!" Byakuya said.

And so for the rest of the night, we took Monokuma apart. We discovered that he was a very complex robot, with wiring and materials beyond any normal remote-control toy. And as a precaution, we made a rule to not go anywhere unless we were accompanied by someone. We even went to the bathroom in pairs. And every hour, two of us rang Makoto's doorbell to try to wake him up, but he never answered. We began to fear for the worst.

Hours passed, and then the morning announcement played.

*Ding dong, bing bong*

"Good morning, everyone! It is now 7 a.m. and nighttime is officially over! Time to rise and shine! Get ready to greet another beee-yutiful day!"

"Wow... Morning already?" Hiro said.

"Well that means that the dining hall is open. So we don't have to go in pairs anymore. Now then, who's up to get breakfast?" Hina asked.

"W-Why don't you g-get it? After all...y-you're the one who s-suggested it," Toko stuttered.

"I don't want to get it! You get it!" Hina argued.