Chapter 5: Investigation

While walking to Makoto's dorm, I read through the Monokuma File.

"The victim was Sayaka Maizono. The time of death is estimated to be around 1:30 a.m. The body was discovered in Makoto's room, in the dormitory. All evidence suggests that the death took place in the bathroom. The cause of death was a stab wound to the abdomen. There was also an injury to her right wrist. Specifically, the wrist appears to have suffered a fracture."

"Good to note."

Monokuma File #1 has been added as a truth bullet

I made it to the dorm room and went inside. Mondo and Sakura were guarding the crime scene, and Kyoko was there as well. I began to analyze the room. I took a closer look at the sword on the floor.

That looks like the replica sword I saw in the trophy room. Was it used in the attack? And it's also been taken out of its sheath. Also, some of the gold coating has come off, especially around the handle.

I touched the gold coating and when I lifted my hand, it was covered in gold.

"Well, that explains it."

Replica Sword has been added as a truth bullet

I noticed that the sheath has scratch marks on it. How can a sheath be damaged? If someone was going to fight with a sword, they should've unsheathed it. I wonder what caused that?

Replica Sword Sheath has been added as a truth bullet

As I got up, Makoto came into the room and looked around.

"Is that...evidence of a struggle?" Makoto asked.

"Sure seems like it," I said.

"Dammit...! I was right there in the other room! If only I'd heard something!" Makoto yelled.

"That would not have been possible," Sakura spoke.

"Huh...?" Makoto asked.

"Don't you remember? All of our rooms are completely soundproof. So something could happen in the room right next to you, and there's no way you could know," Sakura reminded him.

"Oh yes. Chihiro and Junko discovered that on the first day," I said.

"Perhaps this was another of Monokuma's strategies, creating an ideal setting for murder..." Sakura said.

Evidence of a Struggle has been added as a truth bullet

Makoto picked up a key that was on the ground.

"That's my room key... When we switched rooms, we switched keys too. So Sayaka would have had the key here in my room the entire time," Makoto explained to me. "But wait... If that's true, then...how did the killer get into the room in the first place?"

"This is probably a stupid suggestion, but maybe she invited them in?" I guessed.

"No that can't be it. Sayaka said that she wouldn't open the door for anyone, not even for me. Maybe she dropped the key somewhere, and someone else grabbed it or something. Actually no, that's not possible, either..."

Hmm...

Switching Rooms has been added as a truth bullet

Makoto then went to his drawer and opened it. Inside was his toolkit, and it looked like it wasn't used at all.

"Which makes sense, I guess. I mean, it's mine, and I haven't had any reason to open it," Makoto said as he was thinking the same thing as me. "I can't even imagine a situation where I'd need a toolkit like this..."