Chapter 7: A Whole New World (Every Turn, a Surprise)

I'm sorry I had to do that to the title. I couldn't resist...

=======

After what felt like forever, I managed to lift myself out of my bed and walk over to the dining hall. Mostly everyone was already there, so I gave Hiro back his broken glass ball, took my usual seat and waited. After a while, most of the students arrived. Makoto was the last one to come.

"Sorry I'm late..." Makoto said as he entered.

"Hey...are you okay, Makoto?" Hina asked.

"You sure took your sweet time! I was just about to get you and drag you back here!" Taka yelled.

"You can't do that! After everything that happened today, he should be allowed to come whenever he wants!" I yelled at him.

"I-It's alright Hanako. There's no need for that," Makoto said.

"So, Makoto, what happened? Was your room fixed up like he said?" Taka asked

-------

Oh, I almost forgot! Since the class trial is over, I'll go ahead and dispose of all of the corpses! It's okay, no need to thank me! Just seeing your delighted, smiling faces is thanks enough for me! After all, nobody wants to look at a rotting corpse every day! That can't be good for your health... Nyohohoho!

-------

"I imagine it would be pretty hard to sleep with a rotting corpse in your bathroom!" Taka laughed, trying to brighten the mood but failed miserably.

"Jesus, that's fucked up, man. Why would you say something like that?" Mondo asked with disgust.

"My room was...spotless. There wasn't anything left. Like the whole thing...never happened," Makoto answered.

"It must be tough staying there, knowing what happened. Why don't you just stay in Sayaka's room?" Sakura suggested.

"Well...staying there, with her scent still hanging in the air... That would hurt just as much. Plus... I've decided that I can't turn away from her death..." Makoto said with determination.

"M-Makoto... Hey, cheer up! Getting depressed isn't gonna help anything, right? If we all work together, I'm sure we'll find a way out of here! So everyone just...try and cheer up and get back on track!" Hina said, trying to encourage everyone.

"Is that honestly supposed to make us feel better?" Byakuya sneered.

"Huh?" Hina looked taken aback.

"We were already "working together" and yet someone was still murdered. Anyone could betray us at this point," Byakuya said with a smirk.

"It's already happened. It won't be long now before one of us becomes the next victim," I chimed in.

"Yeah, because S-Sayaka made the first move..." agreed Toko

"..." Makoto went quiet.

"B-But...if we work together against the mastermind, nobody'll have any reason to do something like that!" Hina argued back.

"Keep telling yourself that. I'll be over here in the real world. Working together, fighting a common enemy... Like it or not, it's not that simple," Byakuya retorted.

"...What do you mean?" Hifumi asked.

"The mastermind seems to be much more powerful than we ever suspected. They took over Hope's Peak, which was supposed to be well defended, then modified it to fit their desire. They created Monokuma, which seems to be incredibly advanced, and they're providing for our every need. And the cherry on top is the execution we witnessed. Everything has been planned down to the last excruciating detail. This is not the work of your everyday psychopath. Defying them may be too great of a risk..." Celeste said.