Chapter 2 Part 1- Our Fears, Phobias and Moments of Bliss

I walked back to my room, almost in a haze. I closed the door behind me, and sat down on the bed. I paused, staring at the ground. Tears began falling from my eyes, as I put my hands on my face. I began to weep, unable to control myself anymore.

I had to watch two people I know die. Furuya Saki, someone I connected with so well. And Sazama Sachiko, someone I trusted so much. And yet, they betrayed us. And ended up dying because of it. It had been awhile since I'd been betrayed. Maybe it was because I finally started making friends again.

I thought... that this academy would help me. Help me trust others. Help me get a better hold of my future. Maybe find love. But no... now I'm stuck here... and we have to... we have to...

I gagged. Thinking about it just made me sick. My hands were trembling. I could feel tears falling down my cheeks. My face was getting hotter by the second.

"I wanna go home..." I whispered. I silently weeped into my hands.

Of all people, why me? Why did I have to be... in a...

killing game?

I threw off my shoes, and pulled the blankets over me. I couldn't bring myself to get changed. I laid down, letting my eyes close as I tried to stop myself from thinking about all the horrible situations we got ourselves into. Inevitably, someone else was going to die. And that thought... just scared the life out of me.

"H- hello students! The time is n- now 10 pm, which means it is officially n- nighttime. Good night, sleep tight, and don't let the bed bugs bite..." Araigu said, before the monitor shut off.

I stared into the blanket for a moment, unmoving. I didn't know how much time passed by before I finally fell into a deep sleep, but it took a very long time. When I awoke, I didn't even know what time it was. My mind was blank, until the memories of the two dead students entered my head.

I sat up, grabbing at my head. I didn't want to remember these things. Just forget them. Forget them like you forgot everything else. Just do it. Forget.

Suddenly, a knock came from the door. Of course there was another knock. I sighed, getting up from the bed and slowly wandering over to the door. I paused, staring at the knob, before lazily putting my hand on it. I turned, and opened the door, leaving the chain lock in. I didn't trust that they wouldn't hurt me. I mean, who could possibly want to talk to me?

"Oh, hey Hirano! I wasn't sure you'd be out of your room or not..." Kawata said, a bright smile on his face. He paused, staring at me. "You didn't get any sleep, I'm guessing..."

"W- what do you want..?" I asked. Kawata sighed, looking down both of the halls, before looking back to me.

"Could we talk?" He replied. I stared at him for a moment. Why was he acting so suspicious? Was this a trap? There hadn't been any so far, but who knows. Maybe he was just tricking me.

"I- I..." I began. "I guess..." Kawata smiled.

"Okay, just follow me." He said. I paused, before taking the chain lock out. Slowly, I pulled the door open, before stepping out. I looked down to my feet.

"Um... j- just give me a second." I said, racing back into the room and pulling on my shoes as quick as a flash. I returned to the door, and began to follow him down the hallway.

"Um, while we're walking. I'd like to say something." Kawata began. I stared at him for a moment. "I'm really glad that you covered for me. I can't thank you enough. I could've been the killer, and no one would have known it was Sazama if it wasn't for you."

"A- are you saying you are th- the killer?" I asked.

"Huh? N- no! I promise, Sazama was the killer. No interference from me." He said. I stared at him for a moment. Well, it was impossible that he was the killer since Sazama confessed and Yamazaki admitted that he saw her. Maybe I need to start trusting people more. I shook my head. No... trusting others led Furuya to her death. "Um, what I mean is, I was really suspicious. And without you, everyone would still be suspicious of me." I froze.

"Y- you're not going to kill me, r- right!?" I snapped back.

"NO!!! I don't..." he took a long sigh. "I didn't go to my room after the party."

"H- huh? Then... where did you..." I began. He took a key out of his pocket, placing it into my hand. I paused, looking to him. He nodded, and I began to look over the key. "What... does it... g- go to?" I asked.

"This room right here." He said, pointing to the room we stopped in front of. I paused, staring at the key, and then to the door. He wanted me to put the key in the door. He wanted me to go inside first. I looked back to the key, and then to the door. He stared for a moment. "Um... I can do it for you if you want me to." He asked. I shook my head, putting the key into the door.

I wanted to make sure he wasn't behind me when we went into the room. If he put the key in the door, he could just offer the door for me to walk inside first. If I did it, then it would force him to go in first, or risk having his little scheme found out. I pulled open the door, and hid myself behind it. Kawata shrugged, before walking inside. I sighed. He didn't try to get me to go inside first.

But now, could he be waiting for me to jump me when I get inside? Maybe I could return to my room. But, before I could even think, my body moved on its own. Even though this could be the end of my life, curiosity got the better of my muscles. Which scared me enough to begin shaking uncontrollably. But... I wanted to see what was inside.

I paused, my eyes going wide. I wandered inside after him, not even paying mind to the idea that this was an ambush. I stared at the room, unable to comprehend what was going on for a moment. Inside, was a lab. Covered in different trinkets. At the back of the room, there were refrigerators lined up. I approached a desk at the center of the room. Laying on the desk was a blue print, that I swiftly picked up.

"Is... this Ressa?" I asked. Kawata paused, and walked over. On the blue print were designs for a robot, before two had been circled. Ressa and Araigu.

"Yeah. I found that a while back." He said in response. I paused, placing the blue prints back on the table.

"How did you find this place?" I asked. I looked to Kawata, who seemed to be staring at the wall with a confused expression on his face. I payed, before following his gaze. On the wall were small freezers that had been lined up. Next to the freezers, were lights. Some blue and others red. Slowly, he approached the wall. Quickly, I followed him. "What is it?"

"It's basically a morgue... where all the dead bodies go. But... the last time I was here... there was only one light that was blue. Why is there three?" Kawata said. I paused.

"Do you think... that Furuya and Sazama are in there?" I asked. He paused, staying silent.

"The only way to know that... is if we check." He replied. I gagged, unable to wrap my mind around it.

"I'll look... you don't have to." He said. Slowly, he reached his hand, and grabbed the handle. He pulled, the door staying closed. He pulled harder, unable to pull the door open. "I think it's locked." He said, looking to me. I paused, something suddenly coming to mind.

"If... Furuya and Sazama are in there... then who's the person who died first?" I asked. The two of us stared at each other, before looking to the first freezer. Who... had died?

"What are you doing?" Someone snapped. Kawata and I quickly turned to the open door, a rush of fear coming over me. Yamazaki stood there, glaring at the two of us. Everything was silent, before Yamazaki walked into the room, staring at the two of us. "I asked you a question." He said. I was unable to move, focusing on his glare.

"We were just looking around! What are you doing here?" Kawata replied, standing his ground. Yamazaki glared at him, before walking right past him and approaching me.

"Have you found anything out from here?" He asked, his tone still rude, even though he seemed genuinely curious. I paused, almost trembling.

"H- hey, why didn't you t- try to help during the t- trial? Y- you knew who the killer w- was. Why didn't you h- help?" I replied. He stared directly into my eyes, almost angry, before collecting himself.

"I wanted to see who I should target..." he said. He turned around, walking to the door. "And... I think I found out who..." he walked out, not making eye contact anymore. The two of us stood in silence for what seemed like years, before Kawata finally spoke.

"What... was that about?" Kawata asked. I paused.

"I... I think I'm in trouble..." I replied.

Words: 1625