Chapter 3 Part 6- The Knowing, and The Keeping

I walked back over to the hotel from the ultimate labs. The monitor had gone off a couple minutes ago, which indicated nighttime. I'd spent the whole day studying, and completely lost track of time. All I wanted to do was rest in bed, and get ready for tomorrow.

I paused, staring down the hallway. My door... was wide open? Slowly, I approached the room, fear in my eyes. I peaked my head around the door, my eyes going wide.

My room... had been completely ransacked. Everything was out of its place. The table had been flipped over. The beds mattress was completely removed, and was laying against the wall. Part of it had been ripped up, and many items were scattered all over the ground.

I stood, frozen. A sudden fear came over me as I stared at the room. How did they get in? I don't remember leaving it open. I paused, thinking back to the last time I'd been in my room.

My eyes went wide. When I'd grabbed the file, I'd left the door wide open. But... why would someone do this? Who would do this? My brain began to race with different thoughts. Fears started to go through my mind, and I was unable to think straight. There was only one thing I could think of in this moment.

I knocked on the door, my body shaking violently involuntarily. Slowly, the knob turned, and the door opened, not being stopped by the chain lock, which wasn't in its place. Kawata had on pajama clothes, and seemed to have bags under his eyes.

"What is it Hirano-" he began, stopping in the middle of his yawn. He stared at me for a moment, surprise in his eyes. "What happened?"

"I- I..." I started. "P- please f- follow me..." I said, walking over to my room. Kawata's eyes went wide, as he wandered inside.

"Hirano... do you know who did this?" He asked. I shook my head, my face still pale with terror. Kawata stared around the room for a moment. "Hirano, you can't stay here tonight. You have to go some place else for now."

"B- but... w- where will I go..?" I replied.

"You're going to have to sleep in my room tonight." He responded. I stared at him for a moment.

"A- are you sure?" I replied. His face turned a bright red.

"O- OH!!! I d- didn't mean it like that! I- it'll just be you in my room! I- I won't be there." He reassured, looking entirely embarrassed.

"B- but... what about you? Y- you'll b- be in danger, r- right?" I asked. Kawata stared at me for a moment.

"I'm not really concerned with that. Just head over to my room and lock it behind you. Do not open the door, even if it's me. Don't come out until morning. I'll figure everything else out later, okay?" He said. I was about to speak, but stopped. The look he gave me was enough to tell that he wouldn't listen to my protests. I sighed, and began walking.

"S- stay safe..." I said, wandering into his room. I locked the door, and backed up. Now I was in Kawata's room, and he was currently in danger.

I moved backwards, staring at the door. Should I listen to him? Would I listen to him? I couldn't promise myself that I wouldn't let him back in the room. After all, if he needed my help, I had to try and save him. I paused, looking to the bed and wandering over.

I thought about snooping around, but that would be rude. If I even thought about looking around, my curiosity was be peaked and my brain wouldn't let it go until I started to investigate. And... I thought about it. I stopped in place, looking around the area.

In the corner was a punching bag which immediately caught my attention. On the ground sat a pair of gloves that had been ripped and had the slightest bit of blood on them. My eyes glanced to the walls. The shelves were covered in trophies and medals, all accomplishments from working on the force. On the wall was a certificate from a police academy.