Chapter 4 Part 2: Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones, But Words Can Truly Kill

As soon as the door shut behind Yamazaki, the quietness in the room returned. I stared at the floor, almost feeling ashamed. I took a small sigh. What had come over me? I could've died, and for what? A meaningless speech blinded by rage?

"W- where did Taguchi go?" Arima asked.

"Oh, he sprinted out of here as soon as we got distracted! Maybe he was just so intimidated by my malice he had to get out of the room as to not show how terrified he was!" Sugai laughed.

"That, my dear unpredictable chihuahua, is definitely not the case..." Kajiwara replied.

"Chihuahua!?" Sugai responded, his face scrunching up angrily.

"Imamura, where are you going?" Otani asked. "Do you not want to stay and eat something? I think you'd find being here would help you release some stress." Imamura looked over to Otani from where she stood at the door. Honestly, I'd been so distracted I hadn't even noticed that she'd gone to the front of the door.

"That..." she began, taking a small pause, staring at the floor. "Is quite alright... I'd rather not make myself puke." She said. She took another moment to stop and think. "I'm gonna talk to Taguchi." She wandered out of the room.

"... hey, why is Taguchi being such a scaredy cat anyway? Wasn't he giving us evil glares yesterday? It just seems.." Sugai paused. "... out of character..." he chuckled.

"I feel like I know the answer to that, but I'll keep that a secret for Taguchi's sake." Otani replied. He paused, and then looked over at me with a smile on his face. "Oh, Hirano, I just wanted to say." He began, before walking over and placing a hand on my shoulder. "You did great." I stared at him for a moment.

"O- oh, I, thank you..." I replied, nervously shuffling where I stood.

"I was kind of hoping you'd punt that stuffed animal across the room." Sugai chuckled.

"So you're saying you hoped Hirano would die?" Kajiwara asked, staring at Sugai.

"Huh!? What!? Why would you even ask that!?" Sugai replied, a surprised look on his face. He stared at Kajiwara for a moment. "Yes." He responded nonchalantly. Kajiwara took a small sigh, before turning to Kawata.

"Also, thank you for protecting Hirano, but wasn't that a bit intense?" Kajiwara asked.

"POLICE BRUTALITY!!!" Sugai called out, before suddenly being slapped across the head by Kajiwara. Kawata stared at Kajiwara and Sugai, his eyes wide as sweat rolled down his face.

"I- I'm sorry... I- it's been really tense lately and I- I acted on impulse and I was just really scared and I'm supposed to protect everyone and everyone is looking to me for help and if I didn't do anything then it would've been my fault and I've already messed up so many times already and I CAN'T STAND not being able to do my ONE AND ONLY JOB that is literally the MOST IMPORTANT THING HERE and-" Kawata looked over at my worried expression, and then stopped rambling. He took a deep breath in. "I'm sorry."

"U- um, it's fine, I'm a little bit more concerned about you though-" I began.

"How did that feel on your wrist Kawata?" Kajiwara asked. Kawata paused for a moment before lifting his arm up and moving it around.

"Oh, I uh, I didn't even realize this cast was on." Kawata awkwardly laughed. Kajiwara paused for a moment.

"You may be able to take it off now, since it wasn't to severe of a wound. I also believe you can have those bandages removed soon." Kajiwara said.

"Oh, that's good. They were starting to get a little annoying..." Kawata replied awkwardly.

"I- I'm gonna go... I- I'll talk to you guys later..." Arima said, his head hung low, as he wandered out of the room. Everyone paused for a moment, staring at the door that Arima had just left.