ch. 0

"go on now, shiho. i'll pick you up at 3 alright? have fun, sweetie." shiho's mother gently pushed her seemingly terrified child into the classroom.

today was shiho akira's first day at kitagawa daiichi elementary school.

her mother had just left, leaving her all alone in a classroom full of faces she'd never seen before. she didn't know what to do.

now shiho was usually an extremely social and outgoing child. one would wonder why she was so anxious.

even though shiho was an outgoing person, she didn't do well when thrown into a completely new environment with zero familiar faces.

shiho was unusually tall for her age, especially considering that she was female, and would often accidentally intimidate other kids.

this was mostly the fault of volleyball and martial arts. she'd taken up both when she was five, courtesy of her mother.

therefore, it was slightly hard for her to approach other kids without them turning away.

shiho's bottom lipped quivered, tentatively stepping into the room with her head hung low.

she could feel the other kids' eyes on her, whispering about her abnormal height.

her eyes trailed over to a corner at the back of the classroom, where there was a little blanketed area stocked with pillows and plushes.

shiho quickly made her way over to the empty corner, away from the other kids who were busy playing the little "get to know you" games the teachers had set up.

she slid down next to a huge teddy bear plush, setting her bag down next to her and hugging her knees. as the girl's eyes welled up and she was about to burst into tears, a hand tentatively tapped her shoulder.

shiho looked up, sniffling and quickly wiping her tears away. she was met with the concerned face of a young boy who seemed to be her age.

"i... um.. hi," the boy said, searching for the right words to say. he slowly sat down next to shiho and shuffled to face the girl.

"uhm, i know it isn't really any of my business. but, um, are you okay?" the boy asked, his eyes searching the girl's face for a reaction.

shiho nodded quickly, embarrassed that she had been seen. the boy didn't necessarily seem convinced but let out a soft sigh of relief.

"um, my name is, uh, kunimi. akira. kunimi akira." he slightly cringed at the way he stuttered over his own name.

hearing this, the girl immediately lit up. "your... your name is akira?" the boy nodded. the girl allowed a smile to creep onto her features. "i'm shiho. akira shiho. nice to meet you, kunimi akira."

and from that day on, they never left each other's side.

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»