ch. 05

the end of the school year was approaching, and students were busy studying for end of year exams.

shiho had a goal to get into medical school and become a nurse like her dad, and was studying vigorously to make sure she scored well for the exam.

she was spending volleyball practices studying on the bleachers, staying up late and getting up early, all while juggling her responsibilities as the volleyball team's manager.

she was always tired and would often fall asleep while at practices, being woken up by oikawa or iwaizumi.

she hadn't properly talked to kunimi in a while, due to a mix of her own packed schedule, and the boy always being with watanabe.

it pissed her off greatly, especially after the way watanabe had spoken to her a while ago at the convenience store. it was engraved into her mind and she hated it.

when watanabe first declared war against her, shiho was almost sure that she would win kunimi over if she could just start spending more time with him without watanabe there. she was childhood best friends with the boy, after all.

however, it soon became evident that watanabe had absolutely no intention of losing, and started being extremely clingy around kunimi and exceedingly bitchy towards shiho.

she would often look down on her and make her feel like shit, and of course the teachers did nothing to stop it as "how could such a sweet girl like watanabe do something like that?"

everyone was stupid, falling for watanabe's act - playing the sweet, innocent little foreigner who just wanted to make friends, shiho thought.

which also meant that almost everyone took watanabe's side whenever she accused shiho of a false "offense".

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»

"she t-told me that i wasn't welcome here and- and that i should just go back to france. she told me that no one liked stupid blondes who came from- from some stupid european country," watanabe cried, surrounded by the rest of her classmates.

shiho had of course, never said any of this. the only person that believed her was aoi, her best friend and seat partner after being kicked from her original seat by watanabe.

"i never fucking said any of that! what the hell, watanabe!"

watanabe only cried harder, which shiho was sure was just an act that she put on so her classmates would pity her.

she looked to kunimi desperately, hoping that he'd at least believe her. he merely looked away, kneeling down next to watanabe and comforting her.

shiho just stared in disbelief before calling him a two-faced bastard and leaving the classroom.

as a result, kunimi had stopped talking to her, and would only interact with her at a bare minimum level only at volleyball practices.

it hurt shiho to her core. it hurt her that she had lost her best friend, the same one that she loved, and that he would rather take watanabe's side than her own.

she tried her best to avoid watanabe and kunimi, and would instead focus on directing this negative energy towards studying and volleyball, now more frequently taking part in practices, slamming her rage into the ball.

she found that it helped a little, especially being around the boys. she often distracted herself by talking to kageyama about his setting, talking with iwaizumi, helping kindaichi study, or listening to oikawa complain about his fangirls.

she thought maybe, even if watanabe and kunimi ended up dating, she could still be fine. maybe she could just move on and still be happy.

however, on this particular day, all that went downhill and crashed.

shiho had stayed behind after school, as she didn't have volleyball practice to attend, and was studying alone in the silence of the classroom with her headphone on full volume.

humming along to the song, she was in a moderately good mood considering all the events that had happened lately. that was until watanabe entered the classroom with kunimi.

she ignored them and just waited for them to leave, until watanabe - shiho was pretty sure purposely - knocked over her bottle of banana milk, soaking her notes and smudging the ink.

shiho gasped, trying her best to wipe her notes with her cardigan sleeve, resulting in a wet page with illegible ink splotches.

"oops~ gomen, akira-san~" watanabe drawled, giggling. "looks like your notes are pretty useless now."

shiho took a deep breath, trying to regain her composure. it took every ounce of willpower she had to not punch the stupid blonde then and there.

"it's fine, watanabe-san. please be more careful next time," she said through gritted teeth, clenching her fists.

"hai~ i'll be out soon. i'm just here to grab my notes to share with my boyfriend."

shiho froze. "what? boyfriend?" watanabe grinned maliciously. "yep! didn't he tell you? we made it official yesterday."

"...oh. that's.. good for you," shiho muttered, head hung low. she heard watanabe ask kunimi to wait for her outside, as she had something to talk to her about.

she heard kunimi walk out and the door slide shut, and looked up as watanabe walked over to her desk. "so, how does it feel?" she asked.

"how does... what feel?" shiho asked, slightly suspicious.

"to lose."

shiho's eyes widened, and she clenched her stained notes. "if you're just going to taunt me about dating kunimi, can you just leave?" she asked, trying to keep her voice from trembling. her eyes were blurring with tears that she prayed wouldn't spill in front of watanabe.

"aw, look at you. you're devastated, aren't you? you lost your precious akira to some dumb blonde," watanabe laughed.

"watanabe, just leave."

"i'm sure you don't mind i'm dating him anyway. i hear you're a bit of a slut, creeping into the volleyball team as their manager, using it as an excuse to get closer to the boys. i bet you just wanted to get closer to oikawa-"

shiho couldn't stop herself anymore. seething, she stood up and punched watanabe across her smug face.

watanabe yelled in pain and stumbled backwards, her nose bleeding. "so, how does it feel?" shiho mocked, inching closer to watanabe, who was clutching her face and crying.

all the anger that had been pent up inside her exploded in that moment, and she very well may have injured watanabe far more than just a bloodied nose had kunimi not intervened.

"SHIHO! WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO?!"

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»