ch. 19

"alright! that's all for today, i'll see you guys next week!"

shiho snapped her head up, rapidly blinking her eyes and trying to adjust to the light. "fuck, did i fall asleep?" she mumbled, tugging at her ponytail, trying to find the pen she had stuck in there earlier.

sighing, the girl rubbed her eyes and stood up, walking over to her bag and shoving in her notebook and pen before slinging it over her shoulder and mumbling tired goodbyes to the boys.

"i didn't get to write a lot of notes this time... i'll fix them up and send them to you later," shiho told oikawa, yawning.

oikawa looked at the girl in concern, putting a hand on her shoulder. "if it's too much for you, you don't have to take notes every practice. i know you're busy with your own practice and team, plus studying. make sure you sleep and eat well, okay?"

he looked the girl up and down, taking in her messy hair, darker-than-usual eye bags, and tired smile. "ah, it's okay. i'll get it done i promi-"

oikawa shook his head and cut off the girl. "nope! once a week is enough. don't overwork yourself! that's an order from your captain," he said half-jokingly.

shiho offered a tired smile before nodding and walked off towards the school gate. not long after exiting the school, she heard the sound of dirt crunching under someone's feet and turned around to see kunimi jog towards her.

"shiho, hey," he greeted, slowing down once he caught up with the girl. "hey." "you seemed really tired at practice today and even fell asleep- you okay?" he questioned, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"mhm. just a little tired is all," she replied. it was partly true. she had been staying up late studying, trying to keep up with her own volleyball practices, and trying to play manager for the boys' team all at once.

it was honestly exhausting. sure, she had above average stamina since she played volleyball competitively, but multiple sleepless nights and late-night practices drained the absolute hell out of the girl.

she didn't want to burden anyone else with her tiredness and kept it to herself. she knew other people were in the same boat as her and weren't complaining.

"are you sure? you seem kind of off lately," kunimi insisted, coming to a stop in front of a dimly lit convenience store. "you want a warm drink? it's getting kind of cold. my treat," he offered.

"ah, no thanks. you can get one if you want, though. i'll wait out here," shiho said, taking a seat on one of the small tables outside.

kunimi furrowed his eyebrows but nodded, walking into the convenience store and disappearing into the aisle. shiho sighed, laying her head in her arms.

"he should take... maybe five minutes... i'll just take a five minute nap..."

shiho pulled her blazer tighter, trying to conserve her body heat. kunimi was right; it was getting cold. she exhaled shakily, closing her eyes as she dozed off.

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»

when she awoke, she was met with the familiar ceiling of her own room, littered with glow-in-the dark dinosaur stickers that tsukishima had gifted her when they were little.

"....huh? wasn't i just..." she rolled over and picked up her phone, squinting to try make out the time. "7:40? but i was with akira at the convenience store just an hour and a half ago.."

tsukishima conveniently walked into her room as she got up, staring at her disheveled state. "dinner's ready. brush your hair, it looks terrible," he said curtly before turning to leave.

"kei! wait! who brought me home? i'm 100% sure i was at the convenience store with akira after practice. i just dozed off for a little bit and i woke up here...."

"oh god, akira didn't bring me home, did he?" she panicked, standing up and staring at tsukishima with wide eyes, waiting for an answer.

tsukishima sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "look who's jacket you're wearing." shiho tilted her head to the side in confusion. "jacket..?"

shiho's eyes widened further as she realised she was wearing kunimi's jacket. she recognised it immediately; it had a stain on its left sleeve from when she had accidentally gotten pen ink on it.

"oh my god. wait, what did he wear home? did he go home in his volleyball uniform? fuck! it was cold outside! why did i have to fall asleep?" she groaned, muttering a string of curses under her breath.

she immediately took out her phone to text kunimi, as kei snatched it out of her hands. "he said not to worry about it. he said that you could drop his jacket off at his house or he could come by to get it. "either one works" he said."

"now hurry up and come have dinner, mom will starve us if we don't get our asses out there in the next ten seconds."

with that, tsukishima promptly left the room and left shiho on her own, who sat back onto her bed as she stared at her wall.

"akira.. took me home?"

"he gave me his jacket because it was cold. and took me home. didn't wake me up but took me home instead because he knew i was tired. wait how did he even?- whatever."

shiho sighed, though she couldn't help but smile as she realised that kunimi did actually care about her, and was willing to make up for what happened in middle school. this had confirmed it.

things were starting to look up for shiho akira.

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»