ch. 18

a month had passed since that encounter with kunimi in the storage room. she was now on talking terms with kunimi, no longer as awkward or uncomfortable as she used to be.

they could hold conversation on their own without oikawa there to be the middle man, and could be left on their own without an awkward silence filling the empty space.

things were finally starting to look up for shiho akira.

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»

"kei, you're on karasuno's volleyball team right?" shiho asked, lazily walking into her cousin's room and falling onto his neatly made bed.

tsukishima swivelled his chair around to face the girl, now boasting bright orange hair that she had dyed herself . "yeah, why? and get the fuck off my bed, you're messing up the sheets. i just made them," he grumbled.

"hai, hai. you have practice today, yeah?" tsukishima nodded in response, not paying much attention to the girl. "can i go watch you guys?" she questioned, cocking her head to the side as she sat up.

"uh, i guess so. i don't know if daichi-san will let you stay, but you can try," he shrugged. "daichi...?" "captain."

shiho nodded, now interested in her cousin's team. "i heard that you guys are called the fallen crows. what's that all about?"

"apparently we used to be really good. mostly because of this guy nicknamed the 'tiny giant' though, who was their ace despite being short. we aren't as good anymore, which is why we're called the 'fallen crows'," he explained tiredly.

shiho hummed and nodded along. "i think we might be able to gain our reputation back though," tsukishima spoke quietly. "oh? how so?" shiho questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"we have this teacher, takeda-sensei, who's.. scarily passionate about the team and even found us a proper coach. we also have this duo who does a freak quick-attack. kageyama and hinata. they're both dumbasses, but annoyingly good at the sport," he grimaced.

shiho perked up upon hearing the name of her old friend. "kageyama? kageyama tobio??" she asked, excited. tsukishima looked slightly concerned at her sudden enthusiasm, but nodded.

"holy shit i haven't seen him in over two years! now i NEED to go to your practice," she bounced, grinning widely. she had been fond of kageyama ever since meeting him, and was excited to see the boy again.

"...right. i forgot he went to your middle school. practice is at 4. don't be late, i guess." with that, the boy picked up his bag, put his headphones on, and left for school.

shiho sighed, falling back onto tsukishima's bed. "i guess i should start heading out too," she spoke to herself. the girl groaned, picking herself up off the bed, heading back towards her room to gather her things before heading out.

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»

"NICE KILL!"

shiho opened the gym door to the oh-so familiar sight of teenage boys playing volleyball, the smell of sweat and cleaning chemicals hitting her nose as she stepped into the karasuno gym.

"TSUKKI! HEEYY!!" she yelled, catching everhone's attention. "holy fuck i hate you." tsukishima groaned and threw his head back, covering it with his hands in embarrassment.

a boy with freckles and dark green hair appeared beside tsukishima, curiously looking over at shiho. a boy with a distinct blonde streak and a boy with a buzzcut gasped and turned to tsukishima, jumping on the poor boy.

"TSUKKI! YOU DIDN'T TELL YOUR SENPAIS YOU HAD A GIRLFRIEND!!" the one with the blonde streak yelled, latching onto tsukishima's shoulder.

buzzcut boy fell to the floor and grabbed his leg, crying about how his life was over if tsukishima had a girlfriend and he didn't.

the yelling and chaos was interrupted by shiho, who burst out laughing as she doubled over, clutching her stomach. "KEI?? GIRLFRIEND?? OH MY- OH MY GOD YOU GUYS ARE FUCKING HILARIOUS!!" she cried out in between laughs.

"i'm shiho akira, it's nice to meet you all. i'm kei's cousin," she chuckled. blonde streak and buzzcut finally let go of tsukishima and fell to the floor, seemingly praying(?) since tsukishima didn't have a girlfriend after all.

"i heard you're the captain? it's a pleasure to meet you, daichi-san. i hope kei hasn't been causing you too much trouble," she smiled, shaking daichi's hand.

"YOU AREN'T MY FUCKING MUM YOU PIECE OF SH-"
"OH YEAH? I LIVE WITH YOUR FUCKING MUM! I'LL SNITCH ON YOU IF YOU DO ANYTHING STUPID, YOU BEANPOLE BITCH!!"

tsukishima rolled his eyes and ignored the girl, as daichi laughed nervously and introduced the rest of the team to the girl.

"first off, our managers. this is shimizu kiyoko, our first manager, and yachi hitoka, our second manager."

"this is azumane asahi. he might seem a little scary, but he's a real softie. sugawara koushi. he may seem innocent, but he's a piece of shit, so watch out.

tanaka ryunosuke. he's desperate to get a girlfriend, so stay clear of him. that's his partner-in-crime, nishinoya yuu. he might be even worse than tanaka..."

once daichi got the kageyama, shiho grinned widely and opened her arms. "long time no see, tobio!" kageyama smiled - genuinely smiled, which shocked the rest of the team - and walked over and fell into the girl's embrace.

"i missed you," the boy pouted before parting from the girl. "on that note.."

"WHY THE FUCK DID YOU LEAVE WITHOUT TELLING ANY OF US HUH? DO YOU KNOW HOW WORRIED I - AND THE REST OF THE TEAM - WAS? YOU BITCH!"

kageyama yelled, throwing a volleyball at shiho's head. shiho narrowly dodged it, laughing. "gomen, gomen. i promise i'll make it up to you. at least i'm back now, yeah?" she chuckled.

kageyama pouted further, a frown evident on his face. a small boy with orange hair popped out from behind kageyama.

"how do you know bakageyama?" he asked, his eyes lighting up. "and how tall are you? do you play volleyball? if so, what position? are you good?? is tsukishima always this bitchy at home too??"

shiho laughed at the boy's questions and answered them one by one. "tobio and i went to the same middle school. i'm around.. 5'10? yes, i do play volleyball. i'm a wing spiker. i was actually on the Amateur US Under 16s team before i came back. kei usually isn't too bitchy."

hinata's eyes lit up even further, if that was even possible, as shiho mentioned being on the US team. "UWAAAHHH! THE US TEAM? THAT'S SO COOOOLLL!!!" he exclaimed, flapping his arms.

shiho couldn't help but smile at his enthusiasm. he was such a sweet ball of sunshine. shiho spent the rest of the day messing around with the karasuno boys, watching them practice, occasionally joining in just for the fun of beating tsukishima, and gossiping with the managers, who she exchanged numbers with and promised to keep in touch.

she made a mental note to visit the karasuno team more often. they reminded her a lot of the aoba johsai boys, just louder and more chaotic.

things were starting to look up for shiho akira.

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»