ch. 07

after the incident with kunimi, shiho had gone out of her way to avoid him during school, unless it was absolutely necessary for her to talk to him.

even during practice, she didn't speak to him and would only either silently hand him a towel or water bottle before quickly leaving.

instead of her usual walks home with kunimi, she instead began walking home with oikawa, as she discovered they only lived a couple blocks from each other.

to be honest, she didn't mind it. oikawa was a little odd and whiny at times, but she thought that he was a hardworking and sweet person nonetheless.

she had become closer friends with kageyama and kindaichi, helping both of them study for their end of year exams.

she was a little concerned for kageyama, to say the least.

she tried to talk to iwaizumi more, and would often end up confiding in him about her problems in life, as he was a very dependable person with a lot of good advice.

two weeks had already passed since she had last spoken to kunimi.

she thought that maybe her situation could be getting a little better. that her mental state was improving.

she knew that was a lie.

she had lost her appetite and wasn't eating properly, and would often stay up at night, not being able to sleep.

she would stay up extremely late to study and end up crying whenever she tried to sleep, the harsh impact of kunimi's words resurfacing again and again.

on top of that, the stress of studying for end of year exams was higher than ever, with the exams just around the corner.

if anything, she was getting worse.

"well, at least it can't get any worse than this, right?" she had joked with iwaizumi once.

she was wrong.

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»

that particular day, she returned to her dad's house instead of tsukishima's, as he had texted her that he would be home and that he wanted to talk to her.

"i'm home!" she yelled, kicking off her shoes and walking over to the living room. "ah, shiho. how are you?" her dad asked.

"eh, i'm okay. just a little stressed about the end of year exams," shiho simply said, not wanting to burden her already stressed out father with her own problems.

"come, have a seat. there's something we should discuss."

shiho raised an eyebrow, sceptical of her father's words but taking a seat anyway. "is something wrong?" she questioned.

her dad sighed. "well, there's no easy way to tell you this. i just got a job offer over in america that pays better than the one i have now. i think we could really use this opportunity, you know?

i know i haven't necessarily been a good father figure for you, always having to be at the hospital and all. i'll work less hours over there too, so we could spend some more time together. a fresh start, maybe?"

he looked at shiho hopefully, praying that his daughter would understand. "so... you're planning on moving to america?" she slowly said.

"mhm. i'm not sure if we'll be there permanently, though. if things don't work out, we may come back.

besides, your uncle yuuji runs a volleyball training camp there that you could attend. i know you've been wanting to practice your volleyball more since kitagawa daiichi doesn't have a girls' team."

"what do you want to do?"

shiho was silent for a while, weighing out her options.

a fresh start sounded nice; it really did. she just didn't know if she could leave the rest of her life behind. the volleyball team, the school. her friends.

kunimi.

her emotions flared at the thought of missing kunimi, the anger and disappointment she felt that day resurfacing.

she clenched her fists, trying not to be overwhelmed by her emotions in front of her father. she turned to look at him.

"i think... a fresh start's a good idea."

—————————————————————————

VOLLEY-TESTICLE
5:29pm

better akira [shiho akira]
just a heads up, i won't be at
school this week

that means i'm not at practice either

try not to kill each other the
moment i'm gone

shittykawa [tooru oikawa]
WAIT NO IWA-CHAN'S GOING
TO KILL ME PLS!! Σ (゚Д゚;)

DON'T LEAVE ME ALONE WITH
THESE EVIL PEOPLE!!!! (ಥ﹏ಥ)

iwa-chan 💪 [hajime iwaizumi]
i envy you. i wish i could have a week
off from this damned team

blueberry🫐 [tobio kageyama]
are you sick, shiho-san??

better akira
nah not exactly

it's a secret (๑>ڡ<)☆

blueberry🫐
you text like oikawa-san....

i don't get emoticons.

better akira
you're too uncultured to be a part
of the emoticon users ╰(‵□′)╯

we will forever be the superior species
*liked by shittykawa*

shittykawa
hell yeah (⌐■_■)ᕗ

VOLLEY-TESTICLES
10:42pm

turnip head [yutaro kindaichi]
what the f u c k ?

—————————————————————————

shiho wanted to tell the rest of the team before leaving. she really did. she didn't want to just suddenly leave without any notice, but she couldn't help but not want to say goodbye.

even though she'd only known the boys for less than a year, she loved all of them dearly and couldn't bring herself to say goodbye before she left.

her dad said that they might be back soon anyway, right?

she was sure they'd understand. they would have to.

her father had said they would be leaving the following weekend, and that he had booked the tickets a couple weeks back.

he just wasn't sure when or how he would tell shiho, so he ended up having to wait until last minute, which he apologised for.

so it was decided. she would leave her home and move to america. she could only hope to come back some day.

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»