ch. 01

"akira shiho?"

....

"is there an akira shiho in this class?"

"late on her first day. what a good impression," the teacher murmured to himself. he began to continue down the roll call, when suddenly a certain bright-haired girl burst into the classroom.

"sorry i'm late.. late sensei! i promise this won't happen again! please... please forgive me!" shiho yelled, panting as she caught her breath.

the teacher looked vaguely amused as he eyed the girl who had just barged in the classroom. very loudly.

sighing, he reluctantly let the girl go. it was the first day after all, and he didn't want to give too harsh of punishments.

sighing out of relief, shiho slid into a seat next to none other than her childhood best friend, kunimi akira. "morning kira!" she whispered, grinning stupidly at the boy.

kunimi only playfully rolled his eyes as he turned his attention to the teacher, preferring not to get in trouble on the first day. "morning. the teacher was calling your name for a while. sleep in again?"

shiho only smiled sheepishly in response. "you know i can never get those alarms to wake me up..."
"uh huh."

————— a few days later —————

humming happily with her tray of food, shiho skipped through the cafeteria to over where kunimi was sitting.

sliding her lunch tray across the table and almost dropping it, shiho plopped down besides the boy and happily munched away at her pile of food.

kunimi merely looked at the girl in amusement as she stuffed her face with food.

kunimi checked his watch and stood up, picking up his tray as he left. startled by the sudden motion, shiho whipped her head towards the boy. "whe ar youm goimf?" she asked, her mouth still full of food.

"one, stop speaking with your mouth full. two, the volleyball applications and tryouts are at lunch today. which is now. so i need to go," kunimi tiredly stated before walking off.

shiho hurriedly stuffed the rest of the food in her mouth and ran after the boy, eager to see what the boys' volleyball team would be like.

she knew kitagawa daiichi didn't have a girls' volleyball team, but she wanted to see if she could negotiate with the coach to let her participate in the boys' practice anyway.

walking side by side, most wouldn't think that two people this contrasting in personality and looks could be friends.

kunimi, with his always-tired expression and slouched, dragged walking, to shiho, with her bright, constantly changing hair (it was a hobby of hers to experiment with different hair colors), always walking with a bounce in her step.

alas, even the two wouldn't have ever imagined they'd be this close. but then again, you never know what fate has in store.

as the duo approached the gym, the clear sound of shouting and volleyballs hitting the floor could be heard.

shiho and kunimi glanced at each other before pushing the doors open and revealing a huge gym filled with boys warming up.

the coach glanced at the two and gestured for them to come over. "you here for the volleyball tryouts?"
"yes si-"

"right, forms over there and go warm up. tryouts start in 10 minutes."

after a very, VERY brief explanation and introduction, the coach walked off to yell at some boys who were hitting each other with what seemed like a mop.

"i- coach! excuse me!" shiho yelled for the man. but it was no use over the noise of all the boys. the girl sighed.

"guess i'll just wait until the tryouts are over and go ask him when he's less busy," shiho thought, sighing.

she made her way over to the bleachers, settling down and watching the boys as they all gathered round for the start of the tryouts.

she was excited to see what the boys were like and was eager to see them in action.

the truth? shiho fell asleep halfway through.

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»

"hey, shiho. shiho? earth to shiho..." a voice came. shiho blinked, light flooding her vision.

"mmmm... did i fall asleep..?" she mumbled, still half asleep. "yeah. you missed it," kunimi said as he sat down next to the girl.

"how much of lunch do we have left..?" she asked, rubbing her eyes and stretching. "it's just about over. everyone else already cleaned up and left."

"right... we should get back as well then.." shiho reluctantly got up before kunimi gently grabbed her wrist.

"hey, it's only the first week. most of it is just introductions and getting to know each other. i'm sure it'll be fine if you stay here and sleep for a little longer," the boy suggested.

shiho groaned. it was true, she needed the sleep and would love to sleep a little while longer.

however, she'd already gotten in trouble for being late on her first day. she wouldn't want to make any more bad impressions...

deciding her sleep was more important than some get-to-know-you bullshit, shiho reluctantly agreed.

moments after shiho sat back down, she suddenly sat back up and reached into her bag.

rummaging through her stuff, she pulled out a small bag containing salted caramel slices. kunimi's eyes instantly lit up upon seeing his favourite food.

"i found it at the cafeteria earlier. who knew kitagawa daiichi middle school would have salted caramel on their dessert menu?" shiho mused.

she handed it to kunimi, the boy opening it and plopping the slices in his mouth.

"so... you wanna go out with me yet?" shiho asked, grinning.

just under a year ago, shiho had bought salted caramel for kunimi on valentine's day and asked him out.

it was mostly written off as a joke, but it had since become almost tradition for shiho to ask the same question whenever salted caramel was gifted.

"mmm... no," kunimi stared before going back to his salted caramel. "ehhhh? still no? hah, i guess i'll just have to try harder."

"ganbare, miss hopeless romantic."

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»