ch. 08

————— kunimi's pov —————

god, i feel like a horrible fucking person.

that's all i can say.

i feel like a horrible person.

i told shiho akira, my best friend since forever - that i didn't want to be friends with a jealous prick. oh my god. i called her a jealous prick.

i was so obsessed with making mia happy that i completely neglected shiho. as much as i want to deny it, she was right.

i had neglected her and forgotten about her because of mia. i wish i could turn back time and take back the things i said.

i've tried texting her, but she doesn't answer me. she won't even read my texts.

i keep trying to apologise to her, but get shut down and ignored. she's been avoiding me at school and at practice, which is completely fair. i'd ignore me too.

i hate myself.

mia never should've been my top priority. shiho was always there for me, even when i was at my absolute lowest when my parents got a divorce.

(may or may not be canon but putting it in here for the sake of the fic)

she would hold me and comfort me, making sure i was eating and sleeping well. she'd come over with food all the time, since my parents were too busy fussing over the divorce to give me proper meals.

she was always so much more mature than me. her parents had divorced when she was 10, and she was basically forced to raise herself.

despite that, she was the brightest, kindest, most supportive person i knew.

and i.... i threw all of that away for a girl.

after seeing her texts in the groupchat, i can't help but feel uneasy. what if she did something... rash after that day?

what if i'm the reason she isn't well enough to come to school?

what if she hurt herself?

she was crying so much. i'd never seen her cry that much before during all the years that i've known her. she just looked so broken and worn down.

had this whole situation affected her that badly?

i jumped at the sound of the classroom door being slammed open.

"akira~! are you ready?"

i looked up to see mia smiling, waiting for me at the door. quickly shoving my books in my bag and trying to push down my guilt, i stood up and walked over to my..... girlfriend.

"yeah. let's go."

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»

————— 3rd person pov —————

volleyball practice that day was... dull.

that was what the kitagawa daiichi middle school boys' volleyball team thought.

oikawa and iwaizumi were bickering with each other, like always. the only difference was that this time, shiho wasn't there to stop them.

she would spike a volleyball at them and tell them to get it together and act like they were third years. on some days, when the arguing got out of hand, she'd get a bucket full of water and throw it at them. (woah nekoma reference??)

kunimi chuckled lightly at the memory of oikawa and iwaizumi drenched from head to toe, a ticked off shiho lecturing them.

practices were a whole lot more lively with shiho around, that was for sure.

"iwa-chan~! we don't have enough members for a match! there's only four on this team and five on that team!" oikawa complained.

"stop whining, tooru. get shiho to join the other team or something," iwaizumi grunted, stretching.

"shiho-chan... still isn't here."

iwaizumi stopped in the middle of a stretch, looking up and around the gym. ".......oh. right. i guess i assumed she'd be here this week. it's odd that she's missing so much school."

"yeah. she basically lives here, taking care of us," oikawa chuckled. "her not being her feels like having a missing piece of a puzzle, you know? not being able to complete it fully."

"that's a terrible metaphor, oikawa-senpai."

"SHUT IT YOU BLUEBERRY!"

oikawa chased kageyama with a volleyball, threatening to spike it at his head.

"oi, kunimi!" iwaizumi called. "hm? do you need something, iwaizumi-san?" iwaizumi stood up and walked up to the younger boy.

"have you heard anything from shiho? i know you two fought. she told me," iwaizumi said.

kunimi slightly winced at the mention of their fight. iwaizumi noticed, but didn't say anything and continued talking.

"but it just feels like something is off, you know? she's been studying so hard for the end of year exams. it's unlike her to miss so much of school."

"ah, no, i haven't. sorry. if i do hear anything, i'll let you know." iwaizumi nodded and walked off, presumably to scold oikawa for bothering his kouhais.

kunimi just sighed, bouncing a volleyball, trying to distract himself from thinking about shiho.

"even though it was a kinda cheesy metaphor, oikawa-san was right..." kunimi thought to himself.

shiho completed the team, as their trusty manager who always knew how to run practices and take care of the boys.

she was always a dependable person. she had taught herself basic first-aid procedures upon joining the team, and would always help tape iwaizumi's fingers after a harsh day of practice.

she would scold oikawa for overworking himself, and would always stay back late to make sure he didn't hurt himself.

he walked over to the bleachers to check his phone, opening his texts. still being left on delivered by shiho. he sighed, shoving it back in his bag, frustrated.

when he first made things official with mia, he thought that he would be happy. he thought that the fear of not being able to love someone would go away.

instead, he had lost someone that loved him, so, so, dearly. more than he ever deserved.

he felt as though an important piece of his own puzzle was missing, and he had a horrible feeling it would be extremely difficult to find it again.

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»