ch. 29

"akira! over here!" shiho called, waving her hands at the boy. kunimi immediately spotted the girl and walked over, pulling a hand out of his pocket to give her a small wave.

"hey, did you wait long?" he asked, walking inside as he glanced at the girl. "nope! i only got here a couple minutes ago. what movie do you want to watch?" she asked, humming.

kunimi scanned the list of movies screening and shrugged, nothing particular catching his eye. his only concern was asking her out after the movie, so he didn't care much.

"ehhh? nothing? alright then." shiho walked over to the desk where an employee was waiting and smiled, greeting the worker. "hi! ticket for two, please."

"for what movie?" the employee asked. "actually.. we couldn't decide! could you recommend a film for us?" shiho smiled sheepishly.

the employee looked at her, confused, but nodded nevertheless. "sure thing! the only movies screening at this time are spirited away, my neighbour totoro, and your name. do you have any preferences?"

shiho shook her head. "alright then. i'd personally recommended your name, so i'll give you guys tickets to that movie. is that okay with you?" the employee asked.

"yep! thank you so much!" shiho beamed, taking the tickets and bowing. the employee shook their head, "no problem."

the pair went over to the snack bar where shiho picked up a bucket of classic butter popcorn, while kunimi got a bucket of salted caramel popcorn.

"the love of salted caramel extends to popcorn too?" she joked. "hey, i just really like salted caramel. not my fault," he shrugged, paying. shiho hummed, following behind and paying for her own popcorn.

"come on, the movie's going to start in ten minutes. might as well wait in the theatre."

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»

"AHHHHHHH THAT WAS SO GOOODDD!" shiho cried, wiping her tears. kunimi sighed, handing her a napkin. "stop crying, shiho. it's a goddamn movie," he grumbled.

"THE FACT THAT YOU AREN'T CRYING IS MORE CONCERNING! THE MOVIE WAS SO BEAUTIFUL!" the girl sobbed.

kunimi couldn't help but laugh at how emotional shiho had gotten over a movie. "alright, you big baby. it's time to get home. come on," he chuckled.

"it's still so early though! want to stop at a convenience store or something?" shiho suggested, still sniffling. "i need some hot chocolate to help with my emotional instability," she sulked.

kunimi laughed, shoving his hands in his pockets and walking ahead "alright then. convenience store it is." "hey! wait for me, you asshole!"

"convenience store is perfect... there's one right near the park, so if i could suggest sitting out there to drink, the plan should work," kunimi thought to himself.

he had already texted kindaichi and told him they were on their way, to which he replied with multiple thumbs-up emojis.

"akira? hellooo?" kunimi jumped as shiho waved her hand in front of his face, causing him to stumbled backwards. "jesus, don't scare me like that," he sighed, regaining his balance.

"then stop zoning out on me!" she frowned. "you didn't hear anything i said, did you?" she pouted. "ah, sorry. what was it?" "...doesn't matter," she sulked, facing away from kunimi.

the boy stayed silent and didn't pry any further, his nerves shooting all throughout his body, anxious to officially ask her out, throwing him off his usual routine and personality.

"hello!" shiho chirped, pushing open the door to the convenience store. she greeted the store manager and went over to the drinks isle to grab herself a cup of hot chocolate and paid for it, skipping over to the hot water dispenser to fill the cup.

kunimi wasn't interested in getting anything, so he just stood by the door, watching shiho make her hot chocolate.

"done?" he asked as shiho walked towards him while blowing into the cup. "yep! won't be able to drink it for a bit though. it's really hot," she frowned.

"how about we stop at the park then? we haven't been there in a while," kunimi suggested. "that's a great idea! we haven't been there in ages!" the girl exclaimed.

"holy shit he asked to go to the park before me... is he a mind reader?" shiho internally panicked, laughing nervously.

the two walked in silence to the park, neither saying a word, too worried about how the other would response to their confession.

funny from a third person's view, isn't it? two people with the same goal, so anxious that they'll mess this up despite knowing the other likes them back.

kunimi kept his eyes out for kindaichi once they neared the park, spotting the boy sitting on a swing, hugging the bouquet while scrolling mindlessly on his phone.

kunimi exhaled shakily. "okay. no backing out now, akira." he glanced over at shiho who seemed to not notice kindaichi, and told her to wait for a second over at the benches on the other side of the park.

shiho looked at him confused, but agreed nevertheless, walking over to the bench and sipping at her cooled hot chocolate.

"hey." kindaichi snapped his head up as kunimi called out, the turnip-haired boy grinning. "finally going to make it official, hm?" he smiled, handing over the bouquet to kunimi.

kunimi simply nodded, too nervous to say anything else. "please keep out of shiho's sight. you're free to jump out and congratulate us after or whatever, but not while i'm spilling my guts out," he mumbled.

kindaichi scoffed playfully as he gestured at kunimi to go back to shiho and do what he had come to do. "come on! go! don't keep her waiting like that!" h exclaimed, pushing him back towards the girl.

"go get your girl, man! i'm rooting for you two."

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»