ch. 23

"the fireworks are starting, hurry up you two!" kiyoko called, waving kunimi and shiho over to the rest of the teams.

the aoba johsai boys sat in a small semi-circle while the karasuno boys sat littered around them in pairs and trios, talking about their day and how the festival went.

"hai hai, sorry we were so late," shiho laughed, dragging kunimi down as she took a seat next to iwaizumi. the older boy glanced over at shiho, who he could tell was far happier than usual.

"i wonder what's got her in such a good mood." his eyes trailed over to kunimi before landing on their intertwined hands. "ah. so that's why. lucky it's dark, or they would've gotten found out."

"looks like you and kunimi's have gotten.. closer," iwaizumi commented quietly, chuckling. he felt shiho shift beside him as she huffed. "shut up. i was worried someone would notice; thank god it was only you," she sighed.

"are the feelings back?" he asked, making sure to keep his voice low so the others didn't hear him. "i'm not sure," shiho whispered back. "i'm still figuring things out. we'll have to see."

shiho sighed again, falling backwards onto the grass and looking up at the sky. one hand held her gojo plush while the other held kunimi's hand, which she used to drag the boy down next to her.

"the fireworks start soon. we can see better this way," she commented quietly. she saw kunimi nod out the corner of her eye.

as she opened her mouth to say something to fill the silence, kunimi spoke, breaking the silence first.

"the moon is beautiful tonight, isn't it?"

shiho stopped midway through forming her sentence as she turned her head to look at kunimi, who was still staring up at the night sky. before she could come up with a reply, the sky suddenly burst with colour and noise as the fireworks shot up into the night sky.

shiho's gaze immediately returned to the fireworks, letting out a soft gasp as she watched beautiful firework after firework explode above her.

————— kunimi's pov —————

"god, talk about a worse time for the fireworks to start. i probably shouldn't have said that. i told her that i wouldn't rush her and invited her out here as a friend, yet i say such things.

i couldn't help it though. we.. held hands. still are, i realise. it was honestly terrifying even attempting it. i was scared she would pull away and i'd be left alone again.

but she returned it. i guess that was what propelled my impulse further to say that stupid thing." i sighed, trying to sort through the millions of thoughts running through my head. i know she heard what i said. i felt her hand tense in mine.

i glanced over at shiho, trying to see if i could decipher any sort of reaction from what i'd just said.

and... i think i stopped breathing for a second when i saw the girl laying beside me.

her blue hair was sprawled out on the grass, tangled and a mess after she'd taken out her headpiece. i could see her chest falling and rising with every breath she took, slow and steady as she lay there, mesmerised by the fireworks.

her eyes quite literally looked like they held the galaxy. they sparkled with all the colours of the fireworks and the stars in the night sky.

the moon illuminated her face, casting a soft light on her features as the fireworks tinted her figure in all the colours of the rainbow.

and god, she looked beautiful.

if it were just us two, if it was up to me, i'd have kissed her right then and there.

but i know i can't.

i'm not stupid nor blind to other people's feelings. i may act and seem like it, but i know when and what the other person is comfortable with.

shiho might have been okay with me holding her hand, but i know she isn't okay with me moving that fast yet. i'm sure she's still figuring her feelings out.

to be honest, i'd like to be a little selfish and wish that she'd make a decision faster. i've known that i've loved her since she left, and my feelings haven't wavered since.

and honestly? i'd like for them to returned.

————— third person pov —————

shiho yawned as she stretched her arms, joining the rest of the group as they headed towards the exit of the festival.

"i'm so glad you guys came today! it's a shame we didn't get to spend more time together," she sighed, wrapping her arms around kageyama and hinata.

"i'm glad we came too! it was tons of fun!" hinata chirped, smiling widely. "thanks for coming, you guys. i'm sorry we didn't get to hang out as a whole group," shiho frowned, turning to the rest of the karasuno team.

"no no, it was lots of fun! we can always get together next time. somewhere where there's more space for a big group like us," sugawara smiled, leaning into daichi.

"it's getting fucking cold though, so me and daichi will be heading home. thanks again, you guys. let's catch up again another time!"

the two exchanged their goodbyes before leaving, hands intertwined and leaning into each other in an attempt to fight the cold.
(a/n: please i fucking love daisuga so much hsbdjahejfiahdn)

the others started exchanging their own goodbyes, everyone leaving one by one until the only ones left were shiho, kunimi, and tsukishima. "hurry up, shiho. we gotta get home, it's fucking freezing," tsukishima grimaced, frowning at shiho.

"and for god's sake, let go of your boyfriend's hand. you've been holding that thing for the past like, two days."

shiho sighed, (rather regretfully) slipping her hand out of kunimi's. "i'll see you at school. take care, akira. and thanks for today," she smiled, waving and turning around to leave, tsukishima already ahead.

"oh, and... the moon really was beautiful tonight."

with that, she left, jogging to catch up with tsukishima as kunimi just stood there, not knowing what to say.

finally, he just laughed, relieved that she didn't get weirded out by what he had said. "oh, god. i was really fucking nervous, wasn't i?" he chuckled.

"time for me to get home too, i guess."

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»