ch. 16

"please, shiho. i just need five minutes."

shiho stood still, as she silently argued with herself as to whether she should stay or not. she had been considering talking to kunimi as he had seemed genuinely sorry for the hurt he had caused her and seemed ready to make it up.

however, she still feared that she would only end up getting hurt again if she gave him another chance and she fell back in love with kunimi.

————— two weeks ago —————

"you know, kunimi seems to really want to make up to you for what he did."

shiho groaned, trying to avoid this conversation. "why is that the only thing people talk to me about nowadays? he hurt me, and i don't want anything to do with him."

iwaizumi sighed, sitting down next to shiho on the bleachers, staring at the empty court. "you really don't like to give second chances do you?"

"no, that's not it. it's just.. i loved him for like- two years, you know? i've been best friends with him since i was seven. i do think that people deserve second chances, i just don't know if akira is one of them," the girl huffed, seeming visibly annoyed at her own lack of clarity.

"well, i personally think that kunimi deserves the second chance. based on the way he's been acting around you, he'd probably give up his soul if it meant he could make it up to you," he chuckled.

"and if it doesn't work out, you can always go back to avoiding him right? kunimi isn't stupid. if he hurts you a second time, he'll know not to engage with you any further."

and with that, iwaizumi left the gym, leaving shiho alone with her thoughts.

————— present —————

finally deciding that it wouldn't be the worst idea to at least hear him out, shiho turned back around to face kunimi. "fine. but i'm leaving in five minutes," she said, grimacing.

kunimi looked stunned, surprised that the girl had actually agreed to stay and hear him out. shiho raised an eyebrow at the boy, who remained silent.

"o-oh. right. sorry. i just didn't expect you to actually stay..." he muttered, rubbing the back of his neck. "well, you have me for the next five minutes, so go ahead, i guess."

kunimi took a deep breath and locked eyes with shiho. his gaze wavered a moment before he spoke.

"i'm sorry."

"i'm sorry for everything that happened two years ago. i was stupid, and i was a kid. though, i guess that's what everyone says, right?

i don't know if you'll believe me or not, but i am truly sorry. i was stupid and blinded by an even stupider crush, not even realising that the person i loved was right beside me the entire time.

i think i did love you, really. even when i didn't think i did. i think i still do. i'd just never felt love before and didn't realise it. i think maybe, mia confessing that she liked me had given me the illusion that i liked her back. because she liked me.

i broke up with her not long after you left. i felt guilty. after you left i... i couldn't sleep, i couldn't eat, and the only thing on my mind was "i wish i could say sorry".

i regret everything i said that day, and i regret the way i made you feel. i've hated myself ever since that day for making you feel that way, and ruining our friendship and everything else that could've been more.

so please, give me a chance to make up for everything. i'll do anything. i just want my best friend back."

shiho let out the breath she didn't even know she was holding in as she stared at kunimi. the boy she had loved for so long, the boy who she thought would never love her back, loves her.

"i......"

shiho trailed off, not knowing how to respond. kunimi caught on quickly, panicking a little at how he just spilled his heart out to a girl who very possibly hated her.

"fuck! sorry! i didn't mean to make you uncomfortable or anything i just wanted to apologise and i guess i went overboard and weirded you out god- sorry i'm really sorry i just really needed to put everything out there so you would at least reconsider hating me or somethin-"

"slow down, akira," shiho sighed, cutting kunimi off. "i don't... i don't hate you. i never could." kunimi's eyes widened. he had thought that she hated him for sure and that she'd just walk away or something.

"you don't...?" shiho just nodded, avoiding eye contact with the boy. "that doesn't mean i forgive you though. i don't think i'll be able to forgive you just yet. but... i guess i can try."

kunimi swore he could've hugged her right then and there. tears pricked the back of his eyes as he blinked them away, not wanting to cry and ruin the moment.

"i- i would appreciate that. i promise i'll try to make up for everything i've done. i swear i won't hurt you again."

shiho looked up, and kunimi could see the girl's own eyes glossy with tears. "i'm glad to hear that."

and for the first time in two years, kunimi saw her smile again.

his heart ached at the damage he had caused to their friendship, but he was even more determined now to fix what was broken.

i swear i'm going to get my best friend back.

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»