ch. 15

"i never want to get stuck babysitting a bunch of idiots like you again."

that was what shiho akira had promised herself when she started high school. that was what she had said when she decided she wouldn't put herself through the headaches and stress of being a boys' volleyball team manager anymore.

it had barely been two months since she had started high school.

two months, and she'd already given in to oikawa's pleading.

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»

"PLEAASSSEEEEEEEE, SHI-CHAAAANN! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASSSEEEEE," the older boy wailed, shaking shiho by the shoulders. shiho groaned, shoving oikawa's hands off.

"oh my god, fine. FINE. you are one persistent piece of shit," shiho sighed. oikawa cheered, his constant begging and annoyance paying off. "training is on tuesdays and thursdays every week at 4pm! i already told the coach, don't be late!"

and with that, oikawa ran off to who-knows-where as shiho was left on her own, contemplating whether or not she should just murder oikawa.

"why do i do this to myself?" she groaned, burying her face in her hands. a sudden tap on her shoulder made her flinch and jump back, though she relaxed a little when she saw it was kunimi.

even though it was someone she knew, and she knew she wasn't going to get kidnapped, she still didn't appreciate kinimi sneaking up on her. nor did she actually want to talk to him.

"what do you want?" she spoke curtly, wanting to avoid conversation as much as possible. "oh, uh, well, you seemed a little distressed, and i just thought i'd check if you were okay and-"

"i don't need you checking up on me," shiho said, cutting off kunimi. she saw kunimi's expression falter. "oh, right. sorry. uh, i'll get going then." he turned and walked off, looking just a little more dejected than before.

shiho's heart ached at seeing kunimi so worn down and sad, as she knew that she was part of the reason that he'd been so out of it lately.

kunimi had been making an effort to talk to shiho ever since she had returned to japan, but she'd only been shutting him out and ignoring him.

"maybe i should give him another chance..? he seems genuinely sorry..." she muttered to herself.

she sighed, not sure whether she should continue to distance herself from the boy who hurt her, or to stop hurting the boy who had hurt her.

shiho groaned, messing up her hair in frustration. "what is wrong with me? that should be an easy answer." she sighed, for the umpteenth time that night, turning towards the school gates as she starting heading back to the tskushima's.

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»

"nice kill!"

kindaichi groaned and fell to the floor, huffing as he spread out his limbs and laid still. "i cannot believe we just lost AGAIN. ARRGGHH-"

shiho smacked kindaichi over the head, grabbing his hands and hauling him up. she shoved a drink bottle into his hand and plopped down next to the boy.

"stop being so whiny. maybe instead of complaining, you should actually work on your blocks," she commented. "you guys have a practice match coming up in a few weeks."

kindaichi merely rolled his eyes. "like you can block any better," he muttered. shiho raised an eyebrow. "i don't have the height advantage that you have," she retorted. "i spike better though."

kindaichi gasped, offended. "YOU DO NOT!"
"OH YEAH? YOU WANNA GO?"

and so, shiho and kindaichi ended up forcing oikawa, kunimi, iwaizumi and watari into a 3-on-3, oikawa and kunimi on shiho's side while iwaizumi and watari were on kindaichi's side.

the match started as iwaizumi pummeled the ball over the net, as kunimi barely received the ball. shiho immediately called for the ball as she jumped and slammed the ball into kindaichi's fingertips. the ball ricocheted off kindaichi and landed on his side of the court, gaining shiho's team 1 point.

"FUCK YEAH!" shiho ran to oikawa, giving him a double high-five, turning to kunimi and doing the same. "nice receive!" she exclaimed, grinning widely.

kunimi's eyes widened, as this was the first time shiho had willingly spoken to him since coming back from america. "thank you.." he muttered.

though a part of him wished that she was actually forgiving him, he knew that she had just done that in the spur of the moment, and that she'd most likely be back to ignoring him after the match finishes.

the whistle blew, snapping kunimi out of his thoughts and signalling oikawa's serve as he sent it straight to kindaichi, who barely received it.

eventually, shiho's team came out on top with a score of 25-23, as shiho immediately ran over to kindaichi to brag about her spiking.

"IIIIII FUCKING TOLD YOUUU!" she yelled gleefully, laughing. kindaichi retaliated by throwing a volleyball at shiho, who just caught it and spiked it straight into the back of the boy's head.

as the two continued to bicker, all others started packing up and getting ready to leave. "OI, SHIHO! STOP BEING AN IDIOT AND GO HELP KUNIMI WITH THE NET!" iwaizumi yelled.

shiho froze and turned around to stare at iwaizumi before flicking her gaze over to kunimi. "why me? why not yu?" she asked, glaring at iwaizumi. "kindaichi's on mopping duty."

kindaichi groaned, trudging over the iwaizumi, who threw the mop to the younger boy. "gooomeenn shihooo. just get it over and done with," he said before walking over to oikawa, who had the bucket.

shiho sighed before walking over to kunimi, deciding it would be better to just get it over and done with instead of making a big fuss about it.

she took the side opposite kunimi and started to bring the net down, collecting the poles and bringing them over to the storage room. kunimi followed behind with the net, as the two silently put the equipment away.

as shiho was about to leave, kunimi grabbed her wrist, stopping her.

"shiho, can we please talk?"

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»