ch. 27

"okay. salted caramel. where did i leave it....?"

shiho scurried around the house, the thought of finally confessing to kunimi making her a nervous wreck. poking her head in the fridge, she sighed out of relief as she grabbed the small bag of salted caramel, decorated to the best of her ability with a delicate red bow.

"okay. salted caramel acquired. now i just need to mentally prepare myself so i don't flip out in the middle of, you know, spilling my guts out to the guy i love."

shiho groaned, tugging at her hair which was now a deep red. "to keep it in theme with valentine's day", she had said. "okay. let's go over this again. he agreed to go out to the movies at 5pm. the movie goes for an hour and a half, which means we'll be there until roughly 6:30. then we go to the park we always used to go to on the way home, and i... tell him i love him."

"i really hope this works," she sighed, ruffling her hair. she repeatedly went over what she was going to say and what the ideal scenario would be, pacing around her room and muttering to herself.

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»

meanwhile, kunimi akira was out choosing a small bouquet of flowers with the help of kindaichi, planning to officially ask her out on valentine's day.

"she asked if i wanted to go to the movies, so i don't want to spoil the mood before it if she doesn't... you know, say yes. i'm going to ask her if she wants to stop by at this park we used to visit a lot on our way home.

it kind of holds a little bit of significance to both of us, so if it's okay with you, i'd like you to wait there with the flowers for me. i'll text you when we leave the movies, so you're prepared. i can't really carry around a bouquet of flowers."

he took a deep breath, fixing his eyes on the selection of flowers before him. "then i'll ask her to be mine."

kindaichi hummed, nodding along. "sounds good." his eyes trailed the different colours and types of bouquets laid out in front of them, going through each of them in his head and crossing out the ones he didn't like.

"i've narrowed them down to three options. care to hear?" he asked, nudging kunimi. "that's what i asked you out here for. your help. so, yeah." kindaichi nodded, picking up three different bouquets. "i may be wrong on some of these, so bear with me. first option, pink carnations," he said as he laid a bouquet down on an empty counter.

"symbolises that you'll never forget them. second option." he put down another bouquet. "red chrysanthemums. symbolises love." he put down the last bouquet. "white roses. symbolises a new beginning or a fresh start." he stepped back, glancing at kunimi. "take your pick."

kunimi's eyes scammed over the three bouquets laid out in front of him. after a minute of staring and silence, then more staring and silence, he finally moved to pick a bouquet up and held it for kindaichi to see.

"white roses huh? good choice," kindaichi nodded, walking over to the counter to check out. "that's a good size, too. not too big but not too small. come on, i'll pay. consider it my contribution towards getting you two together," he winked.

kunimi hesitantly handed over the bouquet to kindaichi. "you really don't have to. are you sure?" he asked, frowning. kindaichi nodded again, grinning. "yep! if it doesn't work out tho, you owe me a bouquet."

"way to encourage a guy who's about to spill his guts to the love of his life." "jesus i was joking! i'm sure she's going to say yes."

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»

"OH MY GOD TOORU I CAN'T DO THIS I CAN'T DO THIS WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE?!"

shiho wailed, curling up into a ball and shrinking into her covers. oikawa sighed, pinching his nose bridge, and sat down next to her on the bed.

"shiho, you've literally been preparing for this for the past WEEK. i am NOT letting your ass back out now. not when you're ONE DAY away from finally getting a boyfriend."

"but what if he-" "if he says no, i'll kick his ass for you. but i am telling you, there is next to zero chance he is going to say no. and i SWEAR TO GOD if i hear you say you can't do this one more time, i'm going to kick YOUR ass," oikawa grumbled.

shiho sniffed, emerging from under her covers. "you really think he's going to say yes?" oikawa sighed, for the hundredth time that afternoon, pulling shiho into a hug. "yes, shi. he's going to say yes."

"now stop doubting yourself, and for god's sake stop calling me over without warning! tsukishima is going to crucify me if i show up on your doorstep one more time."

the girl smiled, hugging oikawa back as he perched his head on top of hers. "thanks, tooru. i really appreciate it," she said softly.

oikawa hummed happily in response, pulling away from the embrace as he picked up his coat and turned to leave.

"now, as much as i love watching you cry over a boy, i have a date with hajime. you're doing great, i'll see you at school!"

as oikawa left, shiho heard tsukishima yell "PLEASE DON'T COME BACK", to which oikawa retorted "JEALOUS BECAUSE YOUR FRIENDS DON'T VISIT YOU?!"

she chuckled at their immaturity as she lay back on her bed, staring up at the ceiling. after a minute, she got back up and switched the light off before climbing back in.

the ceiling displayed an array of dinosaur stickers that faintly glowed neon blue, green and pink as she sighed, closing her eyes.

"i really need to clear my head."

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»