ch. 21

————— day of the festival —————

"one touch!! get it, girls!"

shiho watched as the ball bounced off their captain's fingertips as their libero sent it in a perfect little arc to shiyama, their setter.

"shiyama!!" shiho called for the ball as she ran up and jumped as high as she could, and slammed the ball over the net onto the other side.

the opposition's libero barely missed, and it resulted in the aoba johsai team's win 25-22.

the aoba johsai team cheered as they congratulated each other and lined up for finishing formalities. shiho exhaled, relieved they were able to win the last set.

the match had gone for longer than expected, playing the full three sets and just barely winning. after shaking hands with the opposition and thanking their manager and coach, shiho grabbed her bag and quickly left, needing time to get ready before the festival.

the time was already 2:45, which meant she only had an hour to get ready before kunimi came to pick her up.

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»

shiho made final adjustments to her jewellery and yukata before taking one last look at herself in the mirror. "okay. you look great, and you're going to have a great time with akira. no need to be nervous. it's not like it's a date or anything."

shiho groaned and fell onto her bed, staring up at her ceiling. "what am i doing with my life???" she sighed, a million thoughts running through her head.

after their fall out in middle school, shiho wasn't sure she'd ever even speak to kunimi again. but now, they were friends - best friends, even, and she wasn't sure how she felt about him anymore.

last time she had misjudged his character - or she thought she did, but it had resulted in her getting hurt either way.

though she'd seen that kunimi was genuinely sorry and was trying his best to make up for the damage he'd caused, shiho couldn't help but worry; what if she just ended up getting hurt again?

she had talked to kindaichi a week back, and he had told her that kunimi had been regretting his actions ever since that day, and that his feelings for her hadn't wavered since, even after receiving countless confessions from girls.

sometimes, she'd get butterflies when she was around him. sometimes, her heart would skip a beat when kunimi smiled at her. and sometimes, just sometimes, she thought she liked him.

shiho hadn't liked anyone since kunimi. she'd received confessions over the years in america, and even gone on a couple dates, but she just never felt the same affection that she felt towards kunimi.

she wasn't sure if liking him was the right choice, and she really didn't want to risk it this time around if it wasn't.

shiho was jolted out of her thoughts when the doorbell rang, jumping at the sudden noise. she hurriedly stood up and smoothed out her yukata, fixing her accessories one last time and grabbing her phone and keys.

"i'm going out kei! tell aunt when she comes home!" she yelled passing tsukishima's room, receiving a dismissive wave in response.

"hey!" shiho called, waving at kunimi. "hey. you look nice," he commented, flicking his eyes across her figure. the girl felt her cheeks heat up as she turned her head away in an attempt to hide it. "thanks. you too."

shiho wore a white yukata adorned with flowers with a dark red obi, her hair pulled back and pinned in place with a flower headpiece.

contrasting shiho's light colours, kunimi wore a dark blue yukata along with a matching dark blue haori, and a dark green obi.

what i think their outfits might've looked like :)

kunimi smirked, seeing the girl's face tainted with pink, turning her head away in a terrible attempt to hide it

kunimi smirked, seeing the girl's face tainted with pink, turning her head away in a terrible attempt to hide it. "no need to be embarrassed," he chuckled. despite his words, the tips of his ears burned with heat, and his heart beat just a little faster.

shiho pouted, ignoring his comment and striding past him, head held high. kunimi chuckled again, quickly following the girl as she walked ahead without looking back.

by the time they arrived on at the park where the festival was being held, it was already packed with people from all over.

"HEEYYYY!! SHI-CHAAAAN!! KUNIMIIII! OVER HEEEEREEE!!!" shiho immediately recognised the voice as oikawa's, as she spotted said boy wildly waving his hands near the entrance.

she laughed at the boy's antics and grabbed kunimi's hands dragging him along as the boy reluctantly sighed, already seemingly tired of oikawa.

"hey guys! did you wait long?" shiho asked, approaching oikawa, along with the rest of their volleyball team.

"nah, we only just got here too," iwaizumi spoke up, waving it off. "oh, we are waiting on a few others though," he added.

"eh? but we're all here? is it someone from your class?" she questioned, confused as she started counting off the team members.

"just give them five more minutes," iwaizumi answered, confusing shiho further. vaguely questioning iwaizumi's sanity but agreeing, she stood off to the side as she fiddled with her yukata, waiting for these "special guests" to show up.

exactly five minutes later, to her joy and surprise, the karasuno team had showed up, waving and exchanging greetings with the aoba johsai team.

shiho made a noise somewhere between a gasp and a squeal, and immediately ran up to kageyama and hinata to embrace them.

"OH MY GOD I HAVEN'T SEEN YOU GUYS IN FOREVER!! YOU DIDN'T TELL ME YOU WERE COMING??" she exclaimed, squeezing them tighter.

"shi- let me go- please-" kageyama tapped her arm as he slid out from her arm and pried hinata out of her death grip.

"right, sorry. anyway, how come you didn't tell me?" shiho asked, glaring down the poor boys. "oh, well- iwaizumi-san asked if we wanted to come, and told us to keep it a surprise! i don't think oikawa-san would have let us come otherwise, hehe," hinata grinned.

shiho frowned, whipping her head around to look at oikawa who merely avoided her gaze and hid behind matsukawa.

rolling her eyes, she ran over and hugged each of the managers before dragging them towards the entrance and yelling at everyone else to hurry up, receiving a couple weird looks from others but seemingly unbothered and cheering.

"LET'S HAVE SOME MAJOR FUN!!"

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»