ch. 25

shiho pushed open the karasuno gym doors as she walked in, narrowly missing a volleyball someone had either intentionally spiked or received badly.

"jesus! trying to kill me as soon as i walk in?" she laughed, exchanging greetings with the boys. "hi shiho-chan!!" hinata greeted, bouncing up and down. "hi shoyo!" shiho called, sitting down at the bleachers.

"to what do we owe the pleasure? don't the aoba johsai boys have practice today too?" sugawara questioned, sitting down next to shiho.

"mm... nothing special! the boys said i should take a break today, so i came over to hang out with you guys! i haven't seen you since the festival, and that was like, three weeks ago."

"hm, fair enough. you're welcome to stay. or play. we don't have any matches coming up for a while, so practice is pretty laid-back," sugawara said, grinning.

"HELL YEAH!!" shiho cheered, tying up her hair. "oh. shit. i left my bag in the classroom! i can't play in my winter uniform..." she wailed.

"i'll go run and get it, okay? you guys still have like an hour and a half left of practice and i won't take long," she said, hurriedly exiting the gym. "i'll be back soon! twenty minutes tops!!"

«⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅»

"whoo! made it in eight minutes! this is record time," shiho laughed to herself as she entered aoba johsai.
(a/n: i actually have no idea how far apart these two schools are. probably very very inaccurate)

she jogged over to the building where her classroom was located, humming a happy tune to herself. pushing open the classroom door as she arrived, her good mood was cut short when she saw what was going on.

shiyama ai was kissing kunimi akira.

shiho's heart dropped as she went silent, staring at the two, not knowing what to say in this situation.

"...akira?"

her voice was barely audible, but kunimi still caught it, his eyes flicking over to shiho as they widened. he immediately pushed shiyama away as he panicked, desperately trying to explain, but nothing coming out of his mouth.

"ah, look who it is. akira shiho. what an inconvenient moment for you to walk in," shiyama grinned, walking over to kunimi and latching onto his arm.

"get off me, shiyama!" kunimi snapped, snatching his arm out of her grip. "shiho, listen. she kissed me first. i don't know what happened, and i promise you-"

"ah, but you kissed back."

shiho's eyes widened as she stood, silent, staring at the two in front of her, tears welling in her eyes. "I DIDN'T! she- she came in here and kissed me! i would never do this to you after everything that happened-"

"happened in middle school? yeah, that's what i thought too. i want to believe you, akira, i really do..." shiho whispered, head hung low. "but i just don't know at this point."

"i thought we were getting better. after the festival, i thought- i thought that we were finally, finally over what happened.

i- i liked you, akira. i don't know why, or how, but i liked you. i- i like you. and you- you told me that you love me- and that your feelings hadn't changed since middle school-"

"they haven't!!"

"i just- i didn't mean to, but in the moment-" "you didn't mean to what?" shiho cut off. "you didn't mean to? didn't mean to kiss her back? didn't mean to hurt me? again? after everything you said.."