Chapter 2

"Did you hear? The eldest son of the Huang family set fire to the flower tower yesterday.
Afterwards, Madam Qin didn't even dare to complain. She even brought gifts and two little beauties specifically to apologize to the Huang family. But they ended up being kicked out."

"That Madame Qin, she's just so snobbish. It serves her right that her flower tower got burned down by that young master Huang. We all engage in the same activities, yet when we go there, we have to cater to her in various ways, and we might not even get to see the top girls. As for Mr. Huang, every time he goes there, Madame Qin makes the best girls in the flower tower serve him, and she doesn't even take his money. But this time, she got her comeuppance. It serves her right," the man said, finishing with a smirk.

"Well, who can blame her? After all, he's the only son of the county magistrate Huang. With three generations passing down the lineage, he's the only young master they have. Can she afford to offend him? She can't afford to offend the Huang family," another young man chimed in.

"You're right. Even the former county magistrate gave face to the Huang family, let alone us ordinary folks. Who would dare to offend the Huang family?"

"That's not necessarily true. I heard that a new county magistrate is coming soon, and maybe he'll directly deal with the Huang family."

"Don't talk nonsense. The Huang family has been in Songyang County for so many years. Even the previous county magistrates couldn't handle them. This new one definitely won't be able to either. When his term is up, he'll just go back where he came from."

Gu Wenxuan sat in the teahouse in Songyang County, listening to the conversations around him. He picked up the teacup beside him and took a sip, then his lips curled into a mocking smile.

He had achieved third place in the imperial examination at the age of twenty-three, and now, not yet thirty, he holds the position of a high-ranking official, the Minister of Personnel. If it weren't for his mother's peace of mind, he wouldn't have come to this place as a county magistrate to deal with the tyrant Huang family. But whether or not he wanted to deal with them was another question.

Gu Wenxuan frowned involuntarily as he pondered something.

His life could be said to be smooth sailing, but he repeatedly encountered setbacks in terms of family heirs. He married three times, but all his wives died young, and to this day, he still has no offspring.

Originally intending to focus on his career, he abandoned the idea of having children. Being single was fine, without any worries. Moreover, he was the second son in the family and didn't need to inherit the title. His older brother already had a son and a daughter, which was sufficient for the future.

However, his mother, Shao Shi, worried about him. She went to a temple outside the city of Beijing to seek advice from a master. The master said that his official career would be prosperous and smooth in life, but life couldn't always be smooth. To have a harmonious family with children in the future, he needed to leave the capital city to experience life elsewhere.

Shao Shi firmly believed in this matter and immediately urged him to leave Beijing and go to the countryside to gain experience. This way, he could have a child to continue the family line in the future.

As he was already the Minister of the Ministry of Personnel, promotions and assessments were his daily tasks. After much consideration, he ended up in Songyang County, Suzhou Prefecture, which was in the south, far from the northern capital of Beijing.

Seeing that it was getting late, Gu Wenxuan picked up his bundle and went straight to the Songyang County yamen.

At the gate of the yamen, the two gatekeepers were yawning lazily. When they saw someone approaching, they immediately held their knives and approached. Gu Wenxuan had learned martial arts since childhood and had excellent skills, so naturally, he was not afraid of these two men.