Chapter 42

For the twins' two-year-old birthday, everyone in the Gu Mansion attaches great importance to it. After all, this is the first time for them to be present in the capital, so most things have already been in prepared several months in advance.

Sun Shi asked the shop below to sew several sets of new clothes for the two children and Hu Rong, and specially invited two skilled craftsmen to carve two jade plaques and engrave the names of the twins.

Naturally, Hu Rong was not idle either, and hosted this banquet with her sister-in-law, so that she could learn the banquet regulations of the big family.

It seems to be a very simple task, as long as you order it, someone will do it, but in fact there are many ways to do it, and there is no room for mistakes.

The host must be aware of the guests' taboos, and even the cakes and fruits for the day's meal must be personally ordered and tasted ahead of time. Men and women eat different meals, thus the preparations must be diverse as well, and the chairs must be set according to rank and relationships to avoid mistakes.

Hu Rong has indeed gained a lot of experience with Sun Shi these few days. Suddenly, she remembered the banquet she held in the county before, which seemed a bit shabby now.

Mrs. Gu began to draft invitations herself, and had someone renovate the plum garden in the backyard, along with the two courtyards next to it, so they can to be used as wing rooms. The mother-in-law and daughter-in-law are very busy with this.

In the past, Mrs. Gu would leave this matter to the eldest daughter-in-law to handle without concern, but this time it was the first time the second son's two children made their debut in the capital, and it had to be done right, so she paid special attention to this banquet and personally took care of every detail.

This time, all the family members of the officials above the fifth rank in the capital will receive invitations.

Originally, with their family's status, it would be fine to invite people of the third grade or above, and the number of people could be reduced, but Mrs. Gu's had a tough attitude, and they had to let all the officials and family members of the capital see the second son's pair of dragon and phoenix twins, and see who would dare to say anything in the future.

The two children are growing up very well now, Sister Yan is really cute, she has shed her baby fat and her physique has slimmed down. The twins can even speak, walk, and run. Brother Heng's resemblance to Gu Wenxuan has grown stronger.

Every time Mrs. Gu saw this little grandson, she would love him even more.

After the winter solstice, the weather became colder and colder, but the family's thoughts are now on the two children. Every time Hu Rong discusses something with her mother-in-law and sister-in-law, she will tell Gu Wenxuan at night.

Gu Wenxuan was also very caring, and told her that there would be rewards and nobles coming from the palace that day, and asked them to prepare well.

A few days ago, when he was discussing things with Emperor Jianyuan, he said that he needed to take a day off for the first birthday ceremony for the children, and Emperor Jianyuan agreed without saying a word.

Not only will he give a reward, but he also said that the Crown Prince will go in person to deliver the congratulatory gift. The Crown Prince will personally congratulate him, and give enough dignity for his grand tutor.

In this way, the empress will also reward things.

Suddenly hearing that the Crown Prince was coming, Hu Rong was stunned for a moment, and then quickly told Mrs. Gu and Sun Shi. Both of them were stunned. Originally, they would have thought that there would be rewards in the palace, but they didn't expect the emperor would let the Crown Prince come. The Crown Prince is the future emperor, and upon reflection, they prepared everything with great care.