33 ♡ serene

When you awoke the next morning, you could feel your neck throbbing. Your eyes slowly opened and you let out a little groan, already dreading the amount of makeup you'd have to cake on in order to cover up the bruises. Still half-asleep, you kicked off your blanket and stepped out of the bed, only to scream immediately after.

"What the fuck?!"

"What the fuck!" Ares echoed, as if he was the surprised one. You inhaled sharply and placed a palm over your chest, trying to calm your racing heartbeat. Sure, it had been a good while since he'd turned up, and you appreciated the space, but he was seriously going to give you a stroke one of these days.

He'd been casually sitting at your desk, leafing through one of your magazines, and though he greeted you with a cheeky grin, it was soon to be replaced by a darkened glare.

"What happened?" he breathed, standing up to brush his fingers across the marks on your neck. You hadn't gotten around to seeing them this morning, but by the look on his face it couldn't have been good.

You angled your head to the side. "It's fine. It hurts a bit more today, but it's nothing I can't deal with. I ran into a villain at the mall the other day. He ambushed me and my friend."

"Which villain?" he asked, and there was a dangerous look in his golden eyes that you'd never seen before. "I could try to give him a hard time. I'm sure I'll get in loads of trouble, probably incur the wrath of my father and bring about some sort of apocalypse, but if you want him dead, I'll kill him."

"An apocalypse sounds rough," you muttered. "I know the gods aren't really supposed to meddle in the life of humans, otherwise all sorts of of problems can arise. If we ever get into a tough spot with villains, maybe we can consider that a last resort. Actually, even then it might not be worth it. How bad of an apocalypse are we talking?"

"The old man would probably split the skies and rain countless bolts of thunder down upon the earth."

"Right. Let's not do that then. Why even suggest it?"

"I'm an emotional guy," Ares chuckled, his hand moving to caress your cheek. "It makes me sad to see that someone's hurt you this way. I know I shouldn't get involved, even if I want to really badly. I've never been very good at controlling my temper, though. If they ever hurt you like this again, I can't promise I'll hold myself back."

You smiled. Somehow, that thought was reassuring. Already, having your life interconnected with the gods was so far out of the ordinary that it was difficult to maintain some semblance of normalcy, and you knew relying on them was most certainly not the right thing to do, but it was nice just knowing there were others looking out for you-looking down at you from above, to be precise.

"Your beautiful neck is all bruised," he sighed. "What kind of monster would harm such a pretty girl?"

"He's quite infamous right now," you said, dragging Ares along as you moved towards your vanity. You sat down, knowing better than to bother trying to shake his arms off, and opened up a drawer packed full of concealers, powders, and various other goodies. You picked up one of your favorites, that would hopefully provide enough coverage for the deep purple splotches all over your skin. Ares watched with wide eyes as you expertly dabbed and blended it all across your neck, covering up essentially all traces of the bruising. "Him and his group," you murmured, adding more product to a particularly pigmented spot. "The League of Villains. They attacked my classmates a while back, at the very start of the school year, but I was in Greece with Mikael at the time. They've been involved in other criminal activity recently as well."

Ares draped his head across your shoulder, grinning at your reflection in the mirror. "Oh, it's almost completely gone! Makeup is pretty amazing, huh? Though you're already perfect without it."