55 ♡ a troubling feeling

Izuku stared at the license card in his hands, tears gradually filling his eyes. "I-I can't believe I actually did it. I'm one step closer to becoming a real hero..."

"Ooh, let me sneak a look!" you grinned, poking your head over his shoulder. He was so adorable, even his hands were shaking while he was holding the license. The picture on the card was also quite endearing. He was all awkward-looking, with his green eyes completely widened and his lips pressed into a wobbly little smile.

"Ah-c-close!" he spluttered, eventually snapping out of it and realizing that your face was right next to his. "[Name]-chan, you're way too close! Um, there's nothing really to see. I know the picture isn't the greatest, but... I'm still happy I've come this far."

"The picture's cute," you chuckled. "Don't worry about it. You look like you're crying a bit, but those are tears of joy, I'm assuming?"

He flushed. "Um... yes. I've been helped by a bunch of people along the way, and I've finally reached this point. It's proof that I've improved. Even though I still have a long way to go, haha..."

"There's nothing wrong with being proud. You deserve it," you beamed.

"T-Thank you." He mustered up a timid smile. "If you don't mind, could I see your license too?"

"Oh, of course! Here you go," you said happily, handing him your own card. The lighting certainly wasn't the most flattering; then again, most government-issued licenses that were taken on the spot usually didn't bother trying to make anyone look good. How you looked was really beside the point, though. Like Izuku, you were just really happy to have gotten this far.

Speaking of Izuku, he was outright gaping as he stared at your picture. Surely it wasn't that bad, right?

"[Name]-chan, you're..."

"I'm... what?" you asked, nibbling nervously on your bottom lip.

"Y-You're way too photogenic!" he exclaimed. "The difference between my picture and yours is like night and day! I never put much thought into my appearance, I know that, but looking at them side-to-side is just... man."

You began snickering. "Oh, c'mon. You're just being silly. Is this your way of flirting with me or something?"

"Flirting?!" he squeaked. "Who, me?"

"Yes, you. A little heartthrob in the making, it seems," you said, then playfully pinched one of his freckled cheeks.

As expected, those cheeks quickly turned impossibly red, and not because of the gentle pressure you'd applied with your fingers.

"You sure like to joke around," Izuku chuckled sheepishly. He was trying his best to hide his embarrassment, but failing horribly. His reactions were always so honest and cute. Him and Katsuki were like two sides of the same coin-super different in a bunch of ways, but also super similar in plenty of other ways.

Still smiling, you adjusted your grip on the briefcase containing your costume. "Come on. Looks like the bus just got here. I don't know about you, but I'm feeling really burnt-out. I can't wait to get back to the dorms and take a hot bath."

"A bath..." Izuku mumbled aloud. His eyes went all unfocused for a few seconds, then he furiously shook his head, as if he was trapped in a mental battle with his own dirty thoughts. You decided not to tease him, because quite frankly, you weren't sure if his heart would be able to handle it.

You and the rest of your classmates quickly filled out the bus. You grabbed a seat next to Izuku, who was excitedly snapping pictures of his new license with his phone.