7

Maggie was partial to a nighttime wander in the castle and over the years, she had learned most of the secret passageways which enabled her to hide from the prefects and teachers

Maggie was partial to a nighttime wander in the castle and over the years, she had learned most of the secret passageways which enabled her to hide from the prefects and teachers. This night was no different and she had found herself wandering through the corridors that lead to the abandoned part of the castle.

She smiles as the breeze tangles with her hair, sending a cooling wave over her body. The witch twirls under the moonlight as she continues on her adventure. The abandoned classrooms were her favourite places because she could climb out of the window and sit on the roof, looking up at the moon and stars.

Footsteps behind her cause Maggie to whirl but she sees no one there. The witch continues in her journey but the footsteps continue, gradually increasing in volume and pace.

Without thinking, Maggie instinctively reaches for the nearest weapon she can find, a piece of metal piping from the supply closet. Gripping it tightly, she turns to face the ominous figure who is wearing a mask that took Maggie by surprise. A scream escapes her lips as she swings the makeshift weapon with all her might, the metal connecting with the figure's head.

A pained grunt erupts from the figure, and they crumple to the floor in a heap. Muffled groans and incoherent mutterings fill the corridor as Maggie cautiously approaches the fallen figure. Crouching down beside the figure, Maggie hesitates for a moment before summoning the courage to remove the creepy rabbit mask.

As the mask comes off, revealing the face beneath, Maggie's hand flies to her mouth in shock. She gasps when she realizes that she has unwittingly attacked none other than Fred Weasley, a large bruise was already forming on his forehead.

"McKinnon, what the fuck?" Fred groans, his hand coming up to his head.

"I'm so sorry," Maggie rushes out.

"My head," Fred groans.

"Well, I didn't expect the prank to go this pear-shaped," Maggie's head whips around to see George Weasley, an amused smile dancing on his lips. "Hell of a swing, McKinnon"

"You scared the life out of me," Maggie murmurs to Fred as she inspects the injury. "What were you thinking?"

"I didn't think a little scare would result in my brains being knocked around with a metal pole,"

Fred watches as Maggie inspects the gash and surrounding bruise on his head. His eyes moved to her hands which were trembling violently. The witch was purposely avoiding eye contact as she reached into her small bag, pulling out a small vial of dittany which she began dripping on Fred's cut.

Fred's eyes remained on her hands which had scars littered across them which travelled up her arms and he assumed they continued under her clothing. He also noticed yellow bruises scattered on her face and arms but he didn't say anything.

"You're just gonna need some bruise paste for your forehead,"

"How bad is it?"

"Not that bad,"

"Awful," Maggie shoots a look at George who shrugs. "Tough love"

"Try not to sleep for an hour or so," Maggie says to Fred who was staring at her face. "You'll definitely have a headache for the ages. If you have a fit or any blood or clear liquid seeps from your nose and ears, go straight to Madam Pomfrey"

"What's the clear liquid?"

"Cerebrospinal fluid," Maggie murmurs, checking Fred's pupil reaction.

"How do you know all of this?"

"I want to be a healer, that requires a lot of research,"

"A pretty face would be appreciated in a hospital ward," Fred grins at Maggie.

"Definitely concussed," Maggie informs his twin.

"What do I do with that information?"

"Get him to his dorm," Maggie shrugs. "Get some ice for his head, watch him while he sleeps to make sure he doesn't die-"

"WHAT?!" Fred shoots up before flopping back down with a groan.

"How am I staying up all night?" George mumbles, rubbing his tired eyes as he contemplates the long night ahead to keep an eye on his concussed twin.

"Powdered Wide-Eye Potion?" Maggie suggests with a mischievous grin, and George's eyes nearly pop out of his head at the daring proposition.

"That's illegal!"

"Right, and half the stuff you do isn't?" She had a point there, and George couldn't argue with her logic.

"But it's a drug that's strictly prohibited by the Ministry, you can't have it in that form,"

"You've never done it?!" Maggie asks in disbelief.

"You have?! You just blatantly break the law when your grandfather is a Ministry Official?"

"It's only illegal if you're caught," Maggie shrugs before wrapping Fred's arm around her shoulders, allowing the wizard to use her as support to get to his feet. "Here you go, Doctor Weasley, have fun"

George catches Fred as Maggie pushes the boy towards his twin. She glances at the pair as if weighing up her options in her head. The witch shakes her head before hurrying off down the corridor.

"Wait!" George calls.

"Sorry," Maggie calls. "It's my bedtime"

"We're going the same way!"