22

The pain in Maggie's hand never seemed to fade, no matter what concoction she put on it

The pain in Maggie's hand never seemed to fade, no matter what concoction she put on it. The month of detention had left her hand so severely scarred that it was visibly noticeable which is how she ended up in Professor McGonagall's office.

The woman had offered Maggie biscuits and tea which the witch had happily accepted. The Professor then examined the scarring on Maggie's hand, silent rage brewing behind the woman's hand, especially at what was scarred onto Maggie's hand.

"That vile creature, do you know if she has done this to other students?"

"Whoever has detention with her," Maggie nods. "I found a concoction that helps with the pain and irritation but the scarring is permanent"

"She dares to do this to my children," The Professor fumes before getting to her feet and exiting the office.

Maggie follows after the Professor, grabbing the twins' sleeves to pull them with her.

"What's going on?" Fred asks.

"McGonagall is about to go nuts at Umbridge, I don't want to miss it,"

"Well, why didn't you say so? Let's walk quicker!"

The trio stand a few feet away from the top of the stairs as students begin to gather at the bottom of the stairs to watch the confrontation.

"Delores, I wish to speak to you about the manner of your punishments," McGonagall says. "Especially the levels of brutality and illegality of them"

"Do you think she'll hit her?" Fred asks excitedly.

"I hope so,"

"Pardon me, professor, but what exactly are you insinuating?" Umbridge asks.

"I am merely requesting that when it comes to my students you conform to the prescribed disciplinary practices"

"So silly of me, but it sounds as if you're questioning my authority in my own classroom Minerva"

"Not at all, Dolores, merely your medieval methods,"

"I am sorry, dear," Umbridge says. "But to question my practices is to question the Ministry and by extension, the minister himself. I am a tolerant woman but the one thing I will not stand for is disloyalty"

"Disloyalty" McGonagall nods, taking a step down.

"Things at Hogwarts are far worse than I feared. Cornelius will want to take immediate action," Umbridge stands tall. "From now on, those who receive detention are to be sent to me. It's becoming clear to me now that current methods are not working, so more innovative methods are required to encourage new behaviour"

"What could possibly be worse than quills that cut your hands open?" George frowns.

"I think we're going to find out," Maggie grimaces.

"Professor McGonagall, I must insist that you fall in line with the Ministry's directives," Umbridge declares, her voice dripping with false sweetness.

McGonagall's eyes narrow, and her stern expression hardens. "I will not compromise the well-being of my students for the sake of your misguided methods. I am here to ensure their education and safety, not to allow them to be subjected to your cruelty"

Umbridge chuckles condescendingly. "Your emotion blinds you, Minerva. We must adapt to the changing times, and sometimes sacrifices are necessary for the greater good. You must adapt to these changes or there won't be a place for you in Hogwarts. All detentions are to be reported to myself or Argus Filch and we shall decide on the best-suited punishment"

"Filch?" Fred hisses. "We'll be strung up by our toes"

"Enough!" McGonagall snaps, her patience clearly worn thin. "Your sadistic methods have no place in this school. I will not stand by while you inflict harm upon my students."

"Well, in light of these recent events, I believe evaluations of all teachers are now a necessity. To see how efficient they are,"

"What does that mean?" George whispers.

"We might be only taught by Ministry officials," Maggie murmurs. "Ones chosen by that bitch"

McGonagall, however, refuses to back down. "Your interference in the education system is unwarranted, Dolores. I will not allow you to tarnish the principles that Hogwarts was built upon."

Umbridge smirks triumphantly, seemingly relishing the power she holds. "We'll see, Minerva. I'm merely ensuring that Hogwarts remains a safe and efficient place for our young witches and wizards."

"Right," McGonagall nods. "Well, I'll see you at your evaluations Delores"

McGonagall leaves, her face set in a deep frown as she breezes past Maggie and the twins. Umbridge turns to face the crowd of students who had been watching the confrontation.

"Disperse now, you are all in violation of many educational decrees," Umbridge turns to face Maggie and the twins. "You are all in violation of educational decree thirty-one, boys and girls must not be within eight inches of each other"

"Ang, come here!" Maggie calls and the girl wanders over. "If I can't shag Fred, can I shag you?"

"Oh absolutely," Angelina grins and the pair begin to wrap their arms around each other.

Umbridge looks absolutely scandalised, her face red, as uproarious laughter comes from the students around them. Angelina throws her head back as Maggie makes kissing noises.

"Lesbian activity is not tolerated!"

"That's not in your decrees!" Ginny calls from the crowd.

"Whew, good shag Ang,"

Maggie fans her face before walking over to Fred who is howling with laughter, tears slipping down his cheeks. As Umbridge's face reddens with anger, Maggie walks over to Fred and he wraps his arm around her waist. Angelina raises her hand for a high-five and Maggie slaps her hand against Angelina's. The sound of their laughter fills the room, and for a moment, everything else fades away.

Fred presses a kiss to the top of Maggie's head as they turn and walk away from the angry woman.

"You're a goddess woman,"

"I know,"

Maggie grins and the couple continues their departure, leaving behind a crowd that will undoubtedly share the tale of Maggie and Angelina's bold stand against the absurdity of Umbridge's decrees.