20

"I'm going to be sick," Maggie murmurs, poking at the food on her plate

"I'm going to be sick," Maggie murmurs, poking at the food on her plate. "What if I pass out when I look at the dragon?"

"You won't," Fred states. "You're Maggie McKinnon, you can do anything. You drink alcohol like a fish"

"Drinking alcohol is very different to fighting against a dragon!"

"You need to eat something Mags," Fred whispers to her. "You can't do this on an empty stomach"

Fred wraps his arm around Maggie who leans into his comforting touch. She wouldn't admit it out loud but she was terrified. She knew the risks of entering the tournament but to be face to face with a dragon that could kill her with one stomp of its foot made the threat all the more real.

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

Maggie paces back and forth, fiddling with her wand as she tries to recall what she and Fred had read about dragons in the past few days. A hushed whisper draws her attention to where Harry is standing.

"Pssst! Harry? Is that you?" Hermione asks.

"Yeah," Harry whispers.

"How are you feeling? OK?" Hermione asks. "The key is to concentrate. After that you just have to-"

"Battle a dragon," Harry says.

Hermione is quick to shove the flap out of the way, launching herself at Harry as she pulls the boy into a crushing hug. A loud flash causes everyone to blink in surprise as spots fill their vision. Maggie turns to see the familiar offensive block of neon colours. Rita Skeeter steps out of the smoke of the camera her arms spread wide and a wide grin on her face.

"Young love!" Rita says. "Ohh how.. stirring. If everything goes, unfortunately, today you might make the front page"

"You have no business here," Viktor says, stepping up behind Hermione. "This tent is for champions and friends"

"Miss McKinnon-Crouch, any words before you enter the trial?"

"Not today Miss Skeeter," Maggie offers the woman a smile.

The offensive blast of colour exits the tent, her lap dog photographer chasing after her. Rita's exit was quickly followed by the entrance of Dumbledore, the other two headteachers and Maggie's grandfather.

"Good day, champions. Gather around, please. Now you've waited, you've wondered and at last, the moment has arrived. The moment only four of you can fully appreciate,"

"What are you doing here Miss Granger?" Dumbledore asks.

"Oh um- sorry I'll just go," Hermione says.

"Barty. The bag" Dumbledore says.

"Champions, in a circle around me. Miss Delacour over here, Mr Krum, Margot and Potter over here. Right. Miss Delacour, if you will-"