1

The screams never come anymore

The screams never come anymore. As the terrors plague her mind, she no longer screams. Now, her breaths only escape her in short, sharp gasps. Her chest crushingly tight as it heaves for air, her throat sealing itself up.

Trapped in her own unconscious, she would thrash violently, limbs flailing against the unseen malevolence that existed solely in her memories. The bed sheets entangling her in a maddening dance of agony.

Each night was a harrowing encore, a relentless loop that played out on the stage of her subconscious. The faces haunting her were a constant kaleidoscope, shifting and contorting into grotesque visages, yet all sharing the same perverse satisfaction as they watched her dying alone and afraid.

"Maggie! Maggie, come on love. You're safe,"

The safe blanket of reality calls for her through the darkness, a familiar voice that only fills her with light. The witch flies up, a gasping and shuddering wreck, her chest gradually releasing its iron grip as the phantom hands of her nightmares relinquish their hold.

And there, beside her, is Fred. His warm hand, a beacon of solace, traces soothing patterns on her back. He pushes back the matted tendrils of her hair, a tender gesture to dispel the lingering remnants of the night's torment. In his eyes, there is no pity just concern and love shining down at her through the dim candle light.

"It's alright, love," his voice, a gentle whisper, soothes the frayed edges of her sanity. "It's a memory. Just a memory. You're safe."

Maggie, finally grounded in reality, slumps into Fred's embrace. The tremors wracking her form are met with the unwavering strength of his arms as he holds her tightly.

"It felt so real. It's like I was reliving it again. Every night, I'm either in the graveyard or that house,"

"You never have to go back there again if you don't want to,"

"I have things to collect from there," Maggie murmurs. "Once the inquest is over, I have to clear all of the things out and I'm going to sell it"

"Surely your vault is overflowing by this point," Fred jokes and Maggie smiles.

"I have two remember? McKinnon and Crouch,"

"When the time comes to go back to that place, I'll be right there with you," Fred says. "I'll piss on your grandfather's bed if you like?"

"Go for it," Maggie laughs.

"Oh, Miss Maggie!"

Flopsy's worried voice causes both Maggie and Fred to look at the doorway where the house elf is standing, two steaming mugs floating behind her. Maggie pats the space next to her and Flopsy hurries over.

"Flopsy has made Miss Maggie and Master Fred some tea, help soothe the soul,"

"You're too good to us Flopsy," Fred says kindly.

"Flopsy loves Miss Maggie and Master Fred too, no task is too good," The house elf says.

"How do you like your new clothes?" Maggie asks as Flopsy sits next to her.

"They're so comfy Miss,"

Maggie had gifted Flopsy with a lilac beanie as soon as Professor Dumbledore had the elf released, granting Flopsy her freedom. But the elf had refused to leave Maggie's side, wanting to care for the witch she had practically raised herself.

Once she had been freed, Flopsy had been given her very own sweater from Mrs Weasley which had caused the house elf to burst into tears of joy at the sight. Maggie and Fred had then taken the elf shopping for clothes in Muggle London with Flopsy glamoured as a small child.

"Thank you, Flopsy. This is exactly what I needed," Maggie says, offering the house elf a grateful smile.

Fred nods in agreement, taking the other mug from the air. "You've got a knack for timing, Flopsy. We were just in need of some soothing tea."

"Flopsy is always here for Miss Maggie and Master Fred," the house elf responds, her large, round eyes filled with sincerity.

"Your makeup looks lovely Flopsy," Maggie smiles at the house elf.

"Miss Weasley is very knowledgable," Flopsy nods.

"How did your meeting with Dobby go?" Fred asks and the house elf blushes.

"Dobby is very sweet, he bought Flopsy some socks," Flopsy smiles shyly. "He is happy that Master Dumbledore is allowing Flopsy to reside in Hogwarts for the new school year"

"Socks, huh?" Maggie laughs. "Dobby's got a thing for socks, doesn't he? From what Harry's told me"

Flopsy nods, her eyes twinkling. "Yes, Master Fred. Dobby finds socks very fashionable. They also hold deep meaning for him after all Master Potter freed Dobby with a sock"

"Do you like him Flopsy?" Fred teases the elf who blushes a deep shade of red. "We won't tell anyone don't worry"

"Flopsy likes Dobby very much," Flopsy admits shyly. "He is very understanding, knowing a great deal about nasty Masters. Not you of course Miss Maggie, stupid Flopsy-"

"Hey," Maggie takes Flopsy's hand. "I know you didn't mean me Flopsy, you didn't hurt my feelings. Right now I'm happy"

"You're happy, Miss?" Flopsy's eyes glisten with happy tears. "You're really happy?"

"How can I not be?" Maggie smiles at the elf. "You're happy so of course I am happy"

"Oh Miss Maggie, you are too good for this world," Flopsy presses a kiss to the witch's cheek. "Flopsy never wants that smile to leave your face. It's too pretty not to be seen"

"Oh, Flopsy-"

Maggie smiles at the elf before pulling Flopsy in for a hug. Flopsy responds with a happy giggle as she nuzzles into Maggie's hair, relishing the affection. Then, without hesitation, the elf reaches out to grab Fred, pulling him into the embrace with them.

The trio holds each other tightly, creating a warm, comforting cocoon that shields them from the troubles of the outside world. For Maggie, it's a moment of pure bliss, a moment of light that helps chase away the darkness she is struggling to evade.

 For Maggie, it's a moment of pure bliss, a moment of light that helps chase away the darkness she is struggling to evade