17

The Great Hall was buzzing with palpable anticipation, an electrifying atmosphere enveloping every corner

The Great Hall was buzzing with palpable anticipation, an electrifying atmosphere enveloping every corner. Students from the three schools and faculty members alike were eagerly awaiting the beginning of the champion selection ceremony. The energy in the air was so tangible that it practically hummed with excitement, uniting everyone in the hall with a shared sense of anticipation.

"Sit down, please. And now the moment you've all been waiting for, the selection of the champions!" Dumbledore calls out to the occupants of the Great Hall.

A hushed silence falls over the hall, every gaze locked on the dancing blue flames that danced before their eyes. It was so quiet that even the faintest whisper would have reverberated like a thunderclap. Apprehension hung heavy in the air, and the students who had entered their names sat up straighter, their eyes fixated on the goblet.

With a graceful wave of his hand, the blue flames turn a fiery red, spitting out a piece of parchment. All eyes followed the singed piece of parchment as it descended into Dumbledore's waiting hand. The wizard unfolded the parchment, his eyes tracing the lines of text.

"The Durmstrang champion is Viktor Krum!"

The Great Hall erupts in deafening applause as Viktor Krum rises from his seat. The Durmstrang students pound their feet against the floor in a rhythmic display of support as Krum is guided through a discreet doorway.

"Bravo, Viktor!" Karkaroff booms, so loudly that everyone can hear him, even over all the applause. "Knew you had it in you!"

The flames blazed red once more, and a circular piece of blue parchment floated down. Dumbledore catches it and unfolds the parchment, reading the name written on the parchment.

"The champion for Beauxbatons," Dumbledore calls. "is Fleur Delacour"

Applause filled the air, polite and respectful, but Maggie can't help but notice the distress at the Ravenclaw table. Some of the Beauxbaton students were overcome with emotion, their tears and cries mingling as they clung to one another, disappointed that tey were not chosen.

The Hogwarts champion was the next to be revealed, the Goblet of Fire transformed into a vibrant shade of red once again. A tongue of flame shot skyward and Dumbledore plucks the third piece of parchment out of the air.

"The Hogwarts champion," He begins with a voice that echoed through the hall, "is Maggie Crouch-McKinnon!"

Cheering fills Maggie's ears as she gets to her feet. Fred and George were hollering as Seamus whistled loudly. The Gryffindor students were roaring in celebration as Maggie walked to Dumbledore who handed her the piece of parchment that she had written her name on.

Maggie locked eyes with her grandfather who had a shocked expression plastered on his face. The witch smirks at the man, breezing past him. A sense of satisfaction filled her body as she walked down the steps to where the other champions were standing.

"Congratulations," Fleur presses a kiss to either side of Maggie's face. "I believe this will be a competition for the ages"

Footsteps cause the group to turn and see Harry descending the steps, his face a sickly shade of green. Maggie frowns before walking towards the boy, placing her hand on his shoulder.

"Harry, are we needed upstairs?"

"My name came out of the Goblet," Harry whispers and Maggie's eyes widen, and she looks up when she hears shouting as heavy footsteps thunder on the staircase.

"Harry! Did you put your name in the goblet of fire?" Dumbledore shouts, grabbing Harry's shoulders.

"No sir" Harry shakes his head frantically.

"Did you ask one of the older students to do it for you?"

"No sir"

"You're absolutely sure?"

"Yes sir,"

"Well of course he is lying," Madame Maxime says.

"He's not lying," Maggie retorts.

"Margot-" Her grandfather's voice was stern. "Upstairs, I will be back Albus"

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

The Great Hall was empty, all of the students had been dismissed as the Professors ran to the side room in a panic. Maggie faces her grandfather, her arms folded across her chest and a grin resting on her lips.

"You entered the tournament?" His words carried a weight that seemed to tremble in the air and Maggie's eyes locked onto his, unflinching.

"That's precisely why my name emerged from the goblet," She replies, her tone laced with determination.

"I did not give you my consent to enter the tournament," He seethes.

"I'm seventeen, so I suppose it's a good thing I don't require your consent." Maggie retorts with a defiant smirk.

"You are my ward!" Her grandfather's voice grows sharper, revealing the depths of his frustration. "You will remain under my guardianship until I find an acceptable suitor for you to marry!"

"I will not be locked away like some prized possession until you decide to parade me around," Maggie sneers. "I'm through with being treated like a commodity, I don't need you. Besides, it's a binding magical contract"

Maggie's head snaps to the side, her grandfather's hand making contact with her cheek in a forceful slap. The sound reverberates through the empty hall and Maggie's hand instinctively flies to her stinging cheek, her skin throbbing with pain. She gingerly withdraws her trembling fingers, revealing the crimson stain left by her grandfather's rings, a cut now etched on her cheek.

"You will compete in this tournament, then you will marry Marcus Flint," Her grandfather snaps. "The contract will be drawn up in the summer and you will marry him"

"Make me,"