14

Maggie's eyes snap open, and a jolt of realization surges through her as she finds herself in a dorm room that is undoubtedly not her own

Maggie's eyes snap open, and a jolt of realization surges through her as she finds herself in a dorm room that is undoubtedly not her own. Panic sets in as she glances down to see a freckled arm slung over her waist, accompanied by the soft snores emanating from behind her.

A mortified look washes over Maggie's face as the memories of the previous night flood back, reminding her of how she had vulnerably asked Fred to make her feel loved.

With gentle caution, she carefully removes Fred's arm from her waist, not wanting to wake him. Then, she swiftly and quietly manoeuvres her way out of his room, her heart pounding with embarrassment.

However, her escape was short-lived. Maggie comes to an abrupt halt when she finds herself face-to-face with Ron and Harry in the hallway. The two boys share a wide-eyed look before turning their attention back to Maggie, their mouths hanging open in shock.

"Is that Fred's jumper?" Harry asks, pointing to the garment that Maggie is still wearing.

"No," Maggie shakes her head, but her guilty expression tells a different story.

"Yes, it is!" Ron exclaims and Maggie is quick to shush him.

"Shut up!"

"What?" Ron protests.

"Maggie snuck out without saying goodbye," Harry teases with a mischievous grin. "Didn't have you pegged as a 'hit it and quit it' kind of girl, Mags."

"I did not have sex with him," Maggie hisses, desperate to clarify the situation.

Just as the awkward conversation hangs in the air, the door to Fred's dorm room creaks open, and Maggie's eyes widen in alarm. Without another word, she makes a swift dash for the stairs, ignoring the stares of hungover students in the common room as she sprints up to her own dorm room.

"Where's Maggie?" Fred asks the two younger boys.

"North,"

"South,"

"You two are weird,"

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

Maggie loathed Divination but her grandmother had encouraged her to pick the course before she vanished. She had informed her that Crouch women had a history of being seers as long as they trained themselves in divination lessons. After her grandmother vanished her grandfather also insisted she continue studying divination.

Maggie knew why her grandfather wanted her to hone her seer abilities. It meant the betrothal proposals would become much more beneficial to him. But she took the course to appease him anyway. That is how she found herself lying on the floor among her classmates.

"Okay class," Trelawney says. "I feel a lot of unfocused auras so we will be trying a muggle tactic I discovered over the summer. It is called mindfulness, it has aspects similar to meditation, allows you to clear your mind and see into the beyond"

Maggie can't stop the roll of her eyes as she stares up at the ceiling before she allows her eyes to close. Once her eyes are shut, images flash behind her eyes. Dragons, mermaids and a maze flicker like a movie behind her eyes. A shop full of life and fireworks, a ring on her finger and a blurry face grinning at her.

"Miss Crouch-McKinnon is seeing something," Trelawney gasps as Maggie's eyes open, a silvery sheen covering her usually blue orbs. "You are harnessing the beyond, now you must control it. Bend it to your will, see what you want to see"

Maggie blinks rapidly, the silvery sheen leaving her eyes. She glances around at her classmates who are all gaping at her.

"What?"

"You were in the beyond Miss Crouch-McKinnon," Trelawney gasps. "You were seeing glimpses of the future. However you must take them with a pinch of salt, visions can change with a single change of the wind-"

"She gets the point," Fred says. "Now stop hovering"

"Class dismissed," Trelawney waves her hand. "I must go and speak to the headmaster"

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

"Do you reckon you'll be chosen?" Fred asks Maggie as they wander through the small island in the centre of the Black Lake.

"I hope so," Maggie replies. "I want to prove that I'm more than a pretty gem whose destiny is to be auctioned off to the highest bidder"

"Who are you trying to prove it to?" Fred asks, watching the witch as she stares up at the sky.

"Myself," Maggie smiles at him. "I want to prove to myself that I'm so much more than what people see me as"

"Well, if it helps, I already know that you're so much more than that," Fred shrugs. "A pretty gem doesn't have as mighty a swing as you do. Pretty sure I have permanent brain damage"

"You have a brain?" Maggie jokes and Fred laughs.

"I'm not very academically focused," Fred shrugs. "I prefer being creative"

"That's not a bad thing," Maggie places her hand on his arm.

"Tell that to my mother," Fred mutters darkly.

"If it helps," Maggie echoes Fred's words. "I believe that creative minds are what's needed in this world. If your mother doesn't see that you can do great things, prove her wrong and prove me right"

"One day," Fred begins, his voice wistful. "I'm going to buy a big house or big flat and once you've gotten away from your grandfather, you can live with me and George"

"Are you sure you want the craziness of my life around you all the time?" Maggie asks him.

"Now, what fun is life without a little craziness?"