2

Maggie's eyes move to Professor McGonagall, who offers her a subtle, comforting smile

Maggie's eyes move to Professor McGonagall, who offers her a subtle, comforting smile. The two witches then shift their focus back to Amelia Bones. Despite the circumstances of the meeting, Amelia was wearing casual attire, a choice intended to put Maggie at ease. The setting is also far from intimidating, taking place in a cosy office rather than a cold, sterile interrogation room.

"Maggie, you're in no trouble I can promise you that," The woman says. "The Ministry would just like to close this case so you can begin the steps you need to take to heal"

"Thank you, Amelia,"

Maggie offers a small smile to the woman who had been nothing but kind to her for as long as Maggie had known her.

"Mister Arthur Weasley and Masters Frederick and George Weasley are just on the other side of that glass as per your request. If at any point you need a break, please let me know and you can take some time,"

"Miss McKinnon, are you sure you're ready?" Professor McGonagall asks Maggie who nods.

"I can do this," Maggie nods, taking the vial of veritaserum and consuming the contents.

"Can you state your name for the record please?"

"Margot Lily Crouch-McKinnon but I go by Maggie,"

"Date of birth?"

"September the eighth, 1977,"

"Current status?"

"Student at Hogwarts,"

"Perfect thank you, as previously stated you are free to take a break or leave at any time. If you feel it is necessary to leave, we will pick this up at a later date. Do you understand?"

"Yes,"

"So Maggie," Amelia says. "Tell me about your father escaping Azkaban and returning home. As much as you can remember"

"It wasn't much after my fifth birthday," Maggie says. "I remember walking downstairs and my grandfather sat me down to tell me that my grandmother had gone away because of me. So I could have a parent"

"Skeletal remains were found in the grave but they were too weathered by time for formal identification but based on evidence, we believe it to be your grandmother," Amelia says and Maggie nods.

"I sort of guessed as I got older," Maggie smiles sadly. "Once he told me that my father walked in and I remember I felt happy because I didn't know what he had done, just that he had needed to go away for a while. My childhood wasn't terrible by any means, I never wanted for anything. Except for one thing I suppose-"

"What was that?" Amelia asks.

"Love," Maggie replies. "I had Flopsy, of course, she loves me more than anyone but I wanted my mother"

"Could you tell me when the abuse started?"

Maggie takes in a deep breath at Amelia's question, trying to steady her nerves. A warm hand on hers causes her to look up from the desk to see Professor McGonagall's hand on top of her own. The Professor offers her a supportive smile and Maggie nods her head at Amelia, gently squeezing the Professor's hand.