Chapter 5

Intensive Training...

Blam, that was the deafening noise of two swords clashing, a sound that at that moment invaded and occupied all of Nimbus's thoughts. He lived by and for the rules of this metal, and the sword at this moment was like an extension of his own body. However, it was not enough for the boy to even rival Lonios in combat; it was an impossible task. To complicate matters, he now had to answer difficult questions between each clash of blades.

— What are the ten commandments of the knights? — Lonios asked his apprentice while attacking him relentlessly.

— First, always respect and defend all the defenseless — Nimbus responded, defending himself between each strike. — Second, defend the oppressed against injustice and evil.

Silence fell as Sir Lonios held his sword inches from Nimbus's face, and the young man was red and sweating profusely, while Lonios seemed not even out of breath.

— Again, your thinking is still not as sharp as your swordsmanship — the knight repeated for the thousandth time that day.

The swords clashed again, like lightning announcing a storm.

— What are the ten commandments of a knight? — Lonios advanced again against his apprentice.

— First...

— No! Continue from the commandment where you stopped. — The master advanced again, forcing Nimbus to roll on the ground to escape a precise blow.

— Third commandment, always keep your word — the boy shouted when he counterattacked, still on the ground. — Fourth, never refuse a plea for help. — This time, Lonios disarmed him while Nimbus repeated the phrase, and almost in the same motion, Lonios already pointed the sword at his neck. — Fifth commandment, never attack an undefended opponent — the boy recited, and Lonios just laughed as he lowered the sword.

— Again. You have to think faster; in a real fight, you'll have to create strategies while defending and attacking. Let's go!

— Sixth commandment, love your people — Nimbus recited, this time advancing against his master but becoming increasingly red and breathless. — Seventh, seek physical, mental, and spiritual perfection — he recited while defending another attack from his master, which ended in a spin. — Eighth, never steal, cheat, lie, or disobey the laws. — He paused and said, panting, in a tone of irony as he counterattacked: — Isn't that right, master?

Lonios executed a feint and made the boy fall to the ground while pointing the sword at his face and glaring at him, visibly furious.

— Don't speak about what you don't know, boy, luck hasn't been smiling at me lately. — He lowered the weapon — Get up. Again, in position.

Lonios paced restlessly through the area they had been training for a few hours; there was practically no more grass left, torn out by the spins, rolls, and blows on the ground, forming an almost perfect circle of dirt and mud. This time, the knight ran toward the boy and attacked mercilessly.

— Ninth, be Just and Valiant in war and Loyal in peace — Nimbus recited almost breathlessly while defending the blow that almost lifted him off the ground.

Lonios executed another feint, making the boy think he would attack on one side and then attacked on another. Finally, the boy lost his balance, and for the last time, the knight stopped his sword inches from the boy's forehead.

— ENOUGH... Enough, master, I can't take it anymore. Let's stop for today. This way, I think I'll never be able to defeat you. Each time, you surprise me in a different way. — Now Nimbus had his hands on his knees, panting heavily.

— Tenth commandment, never show weakness; a knight must be the source that will inspire armies, that will encourage his subordinates. — Lonios lowered the sword.

— Lately, you've been getting bolder, which is good because you need to overcome your shyness and lack of confidence. But even though I've given you certain freedoms, I haven't allowed you to judge me like that. If I have debts and get involved with loan sharks, that's my problem. Just focus on learning everything I'm teaching you.

— Master, what do you want me to think? — Nimbus almost shouted. — You say nothing! For weeks, we've been traveling off the main road, and last week we ran away from loan sharks, like thieves. You make me think that I'm being trained by a criminal while my mother is there alone, maybe without her medicine. What would she think of me if she knew what we've been doing?

— Boy, I understand you, but if I've gotten involved or get involved in gambling, I want you to know that I'm not breaking my code with that. But still, I regret things from my past, and escaping from these loan sharks is my penance. Nobody is perfect; everyone has their flaws, and we must learn to live with them. One day, you'll understand this. The path you have to tread will be long and arduous, and you'll have to be strong to endure everything you'll still face.

Nimbus just stayed quiet, head down, reflecting on what his master had said.

— But don't be sad; you're already developing, haven't you noticed? Every time I use a maneuver against you, I can't use it again because you've already memorized it. You're developing mastery, Nimbus. Soon, I won't have more maneuvers to teach you, and we'll fight on equal footing, exploring each other's mistakes. — The knight sheathed his sword and hugged Nimbus, who tried to break free from his master's affection as he had never done before. This made Lonios step back.

— I'm still not that good; you defeat me so effortlessly.

— That's because I've been training since I was six years old. Experience has given me the sensitivity to know what each man will do the moment he raises his sword to strike. It's like something instinctive, a micro-movement of the opponent's wrist or a slight angle in the position of the sword is enough for me to know how the enemy will behave. You'll develop this over time too; just keep moving forward. — The knight stopped. He didn't look at Nimbus, only at the horizon.

Again, the boy fell silent. But Nimbus was still not convinced about his master's mysterious past, and now he had mentioned his childhood, something he had never done before. So the boy began to connect the pieces in his mind and realized that if his master had been training since childhood, he could never have been trained by another wandering knight, but rather in a castle. He could even be a noble because he hid his past. Why was he hiding it?

⸸ ⸸‌ ⸸‌