Chapter 13 part 2

After that, the captain spent more than thirty minutes talking about his directives, rules, laws, and boasting about his achievements. He repeatedly mocked the presence of the second-rate rabble during his monologue, making Lonios restrain himself from hitting the old man to teach him a lesson about humility and trust in the workplace. But, surprisingly, he managed to endure this ordeal and reach the end of the captain's speech.

After that, the captain called Lonios into his cabin.

Arriving there, Lonios noticed that the place was richly decorated and at least three times larger than his own cabin. And after a few seconds of awkward silence, with the knight alone at the entrance of the door watching Mr. Jones writing at his massive desk, the captain deigned to speak to him:

— Ah! You're here, Sir Lonios. I didn't see you. — The captain pretended not to have seen Lonios. — I had to document today's meeting and what was discussed in my diary.

— Everything's fine, captain, no problem — Lonios recited the words mechanically. — Nice cabin, I didn't know there would be such luxurious furniture on ships like this.

— And there isn't. The Great Leader kindly had these furniture specially made for me — said the old captain, now turning to the knight. — You know, Sir Lonios, I'm an old man and I won't give up my luxuries, and the Great Leader knows that, so he did me this kindness. And he also knows that I am the success of this expedition, and no one will hinder me.

— Of course, captain, I know that. You mentioned this fact no less than ten times just moments ago in the meeting.

— Sir Lonios, do you have something against me? — the old captain asked — I understand that you must have issues with authority. I also believe that it's not your fault; it must be a very old problem that stems from when you were trained to be a knight. It's in the nature of wandering knights to be against authorities, perhaps because they are always unemployed, seeking missions that are sometimes questionable...

— Mr. Jones — Lonios interrupted — My problem is not with you, nor is it a flaw in my training. The problem is that I don't follow men I don't trust. The moment you prove yourself worthy of being followed, I will do so. I will go to hell if necessary. But you haven't shown such qualities; on the contrary, you used your position of power to try to force down our throats that you are the one in charge here, the success of this expedition. It doesn't work that way, captain. To gain my loyalty, it takes more than that.

— I respect your point of view, Sir Lonios, but that's how it will be while you're aboard my ship, understood?

— If it's a dictatorship, so be it, captain, but don't expect me to follow all your orders without first evaluating the situation and making my decision if that's the best alternative. That's why you have three knights on your ship. We're not just here as security and leaders of the guard; we are your advisors.

— I'm in charge here, knight, and as you suggested, this ship is not a democracy. Leave my presence. If one day I need the advice of an old sedentary man about to retire, a girl who entered puberty yesterday, and the rabble of unemployed knights, I'll ask for it. The Great Leader made it clear that he needed me here to bring order to this mess of wandering knights, senile old men, and children, this rabble that was assigned here. According to him, he put the real knights on the new ship, and he put me here to ensure everything goes smoothly. When I have real knights here, they will be my advisors. You are just negative externalities that I will have to endure. You are dismissed, Sir Lonios.

Lonios held back his anger and the desire to jump on the neck of that old megalomaniac, but he took a deep breath, locking eyes with Mr. Jones. He thought about the promise he had made to Sir Ahbran and then turned his back, leaving without uttering a single word.