Chapter 37 Part 8

Everyone settled inside the ship. A count was made; of the 100 survivors they had, only 67 remained. According to Lonios, more than enough to get that ship running, but a very low number to celebrate. Everyone took their seats, Lonios sat tired on one of the benches in the bridge. Dr. Leonardo tended to his wounds there, while Nurse Cristiane, still wearing Elisis's war paint, took care of less severe cases. Jim was already at the navigation table, trying to locate their position.

When the ship departed, a group of pirates was starting an attack against it. They didn't succeed; they left before the damned pirates arrived. But they would probably pursue them, at least that's what Elisis and Lonios had said. Although the ship was designed for a reduced crew, only five mechanics had survived, counting the useless Ari. In reality, there were only four mechanics, and the ship was built for a minimum of ten mechanics. Therefore, they couldn't achieve maximum speed.

On the bridge, Nimbus and Elisis remained. Pola was escorted to a private accommodation, the only one on the small ship. Valeros and Lonios went to a room that resembled more of a butcher's shop than a sickbay, but it was the pirates' infirmary. Jim assumed the role of navigator, Wenra Nyota took charge of the ship's communication, which, according to her, was surprisingly well-developed for a pirate group—long-range radios and a radar. Ka Hikaru took over the piloting of the ship, being the last remaining pilot. Ensign Nicolas Pavel assumed control of the weapons on the bridge, something highly advanced on that ship, requiring 30 of the survivors to operate the 15 powerful hydrogen cannons of the small vessel.

As they departed from the port, they looked back, and the pirates were occupying the ship they had fought against and defeated the day before. Fortunately, it would take them a few minutes to start the engines, precious minutes that would keep Elisis's crew safely ahead. While everyone looked anxiously behind, they saw something that shocked them even more. The island had nothing less than a head, and it lifted up, observing the ships sailing away from its back. In reality, the island was the shell of a turtle. Nimbus was horrified. How could something so enormous exist? It was larger than an ether monster—colossal.

— That explains why this island isn't on the maps; it's not an island, it's a Zaratam, a giant turtle that lives in the ether. I thought it was a myth; I had never thought of encountering one, let alone sleeping on its back. — Lonios spoke, with a nostalgic smile on his face, looking from the butcher shop beside him.

And so, they escaped from the turtle island and traveled for a few minutes without a clear direction until Jim managed to create a safe route, close to the large storm that, according to him, would interfere with the enemy radar but leave them susceptible to attacks from the outlaws. Elisis considered this threat smaller and easier to handle than the pirates.

It was at that moment that Nurse Cristiane called Nimbus to the sickbay. Elisis accompanied him, and Dr. Leonardo awaited them at the door of the room.

— I'm sorry to say, but Sir Lonios is not doing well. His lungs were pierced by the Pirate Lord's arrow, and he is slowly suffocating due to the accumulation of blood... Besides, I suspect that arrow was poisoned; that's why he's not responding to the medication. I think I'll have to operate on him, but this sickbay is very basic, and the risk of infections is exorbitant. — The doctor said with a sad expression.

Nimbus and Elisis exchanged glances.

— Master... — Nimbus tried to enter the room but was held back by Elisis.

— Operate him! You are a very good doctor; you'll manage! — Elisis released Nimbus and held the doctor by the shoulders.

Taking advantage of his freedom, Nimbus entered the room. What he saw left him even more frightened. Lonios seemed to have aged years, with a tired expression and very pale. But when he saw Nimbus, he smiled timidly.

— Master, you'll be fine. Dr. Leonardo will operate on you, and everything will be fine. It will. — Valeros was on a stretcher beside him and turned away; he knew very well what this moment meant. He himself had gone through the same situation the day before. He tried to get up, but Nurse Cristiane wouldn't let him. He was too weak.

— Nimbus, I know my fate. I've fought in many wars, understand the gravity of a wound, and I also know that arrow was poisoned. That's why I would have given my life for victory. When you disabled all your nervous inhibitors to save me, you only prolonged my existence a bit, and I'm grateful for that. I've seen a mythological creature and the man you've become. I'm very proud.