Chapter 22

The Outcasts...

Elisis was in the gym during the routine training of the guard; this day it would be in the afternoon, and Lonios would participate with his squire. She imagined that there would probably be another altercation like the last time when Lonios' boy had his nose broken.

Since the fight against the ether monster, she had tried to rest as much as possible, following Dr. Leonardo's recommendations. The stitches could open if she made sudden movements, and there was the additional pain of the broken ribs that hurt with every breath. That's why she didn't participate in the training, only watching with a sorrowful look from a corner. Today was one of those days. Elisis wore a beautiful, swirling dress and sat on one of the side benches, observing from afar as the knights trained their soldiers. It was exactly what a lady should do, perhaps what she would do if it were another life, one in which she hadn't trained to be a killing machine.

When she noticed that Sir Lonios' squire was approaching with his inseparable friend, playing like children, one pushing the other and laughing. As they approached, she greeted them with a slight curtsy, precisely as a court lady would, and she had trained exhaustively until achieving perfection, all in case she needed to work as a spy, another of the Amazon's occupations.

— Good afternoon, gentlemen!

— Hello, Sir Elisis — Nimbus greeted her, attempting a curtsy like the nobles use all the time, but without success. "Lonios should train this boy more," she thought.

— You can just call me Elisis. You are Sir Lonios' squire, aren't you? — She had already asked his name from the nurse who attended her.

— Yes, I am Nimbus, and this here is my friend, Jim.

— Pleasure to meet you both. I didn't have the chance to thank you for helping me the other day — she smiled at the boys. Jim turned pale, and for a moment, she thought he was about to faint. But then, Nimbus changed colors several times until settling on a red face. Elisis knew that her smile had that effect on men, and its impact was greater on teenagers like these two. It's not like she noticed that; she had been trained to know it.

— Elisis, I have a present for you. — After a few seconds, Nimbus composed himself and handed something wrapped in a handkerchief to the girl.

— A present! — She seemed to perk up a bit. — Thank you very much; I love presents. — Elisis considered hugging the boy, but she remembered it wouldn't be a good idea; he would probably freeze again. — What is it? — She unwrapped what was in the handkerchief and found a large thorn the size of a knife handle and thicker than a finger.

— This is the thorn that Dr. Leonardo removed from between your ribs... — Nimbus was talking when he was interrupted by Elisis, who took the thorn in her hand, looked at it with a disgusted face, and then tossed it at the boy's head, immediately turning the area red.

— Is this a present to give to a woman, boy?

— Ouch, ouch — Nimbus said, holding his head where the thorn hit, and now there was a bump.

Next to him, Jim was trying not to burst into laughter until he couldn't hold it anymore.

— Hi, hi! — Elisis couldn't help herself and laughed a bit; her ribs hurt, but it was a small price to pay. After all, he was the only one who seemed genuinely concerned about her, not out of interest or trying to impress her like the others always attempted. Elisis knew exactly when they were interacting with her out of interest; she could see it in their eyes, as if she could hear their thoughts. Not even Valeros, whom she had been examining for weeks, cared for her as Nimbus was doing now.