Chapter 25

Love Disappointments...

Several weeks had passed since the two ships had left Dark Ether, and Dr. Henry had been relieved of his position as head of engineering on the Brand. The days spent in the role, once only slightly tiresome, had become increasingly exhausting, both physically and emotionally. Power had gone to the head of now Dr. Ari, who offended everyone and pushed them to the limit. Dr. Henry performed essentially the same duties but under a different title. When he was the Engineering Commander, he spent more time helping the mechanics fix machines than in his office or giving orders to everyone. According to him, everyone already knew what to do, and he didn't need to stay there reminding them of their duties. The only difference now was that he received orders from Dr. Ari, who was far from pleasant, often insulting Dr. Henry. However, he continued his work, ignoring his "boss," and Ari, noticing he wasn't being heard, moved on to bother someone else.

— Hey, you idiots, this place is dirty, clean it again.

— But, sir, we cleaned it when we started, this morning — Jim replied.

— I don't care, the captain wants everything clean. — He left the boys and headed towards a mechanic nearby. — Hey, you idiot, this engine has a strange noise, fix it! The captain wants everything in perfect order. — Then he went off to another mechanic.

— It's easy to give orders around, he's an idiot — said Jim, who couldn't accept taking orders from that kid.

— It's just for a few more months, then we'll be back to Cenferum — Nimbus replied.

— I have the feeling that these months will be long — Jim replied.

After finishing his shift, Nimbus took a shower, had lunch, and went about his daily routine of training with Lonios, Valeros, and Elisis, and researching in the library. Jim disappeared inside, and Nimbus imagined that he somehow entered the library's restricted section, so Nimbus was alone for hours.

But on that day, after finishing his reading, he spotted Elisis there in the library, in her element. So, after several minutes gathering courage, he went to talk to her.

— Hi Elisis, I've never seen you here before? — Nimbus was nervous in a way he hadn't been in a long time, in the presence of the girl.

— Yeah, today I decided to read a bit, I like novels, and there are many here — she replied, closing her book and showing him the cover. Nimbus thought everything was in his favor; even Elisis was in a romantic mood after reading the book. So he decided to proceed with his plan and gathered his courage.

— You know, Elisis, I've wanted to tell you something for a long time, but I never had the courage. — He trembled, and his heartbeats were fast; his heart felt like it was about to jump out of his mouth.

— I already imagine what it is, but Nimbus, I really like you, but I like you as a friend, okay? — She looked at Nimbus, with a sad look.

He didn't know what to do; he had been rejected again, just like when he was rejected by Anabele. So he started thinking of an excuse to try to divert Elisis from having thought that, to try to ridicule the situation, but it wasn't easy to think straight at that moment.

— It's not what you're thinking, Elisis, I wanted to say that you're beautiful, but you're more intelligent than beautiful, and... — that was all he could think of and say, trying not to cry. — I think I better go — and he left as quickly as he could without looking weird.

— I'm glad you find me intelligent, Nimbus, see you — she said, seeming to know that he had made that up in the moment.

Nimbus ran out and tried to cover his face so no one could see that he was about to cry, until he reached the bathroom and sat in one of the toilet stalls. He stayed there crying for so long that he even lost track of time. When he left, he washed his face and arrived in the room; it was already past three in the morning. There he lay on his bunk and decided:

— From now on, I'll dedicate myself only to myself; I'll never chase anyone again.

The next day, instead of using his free time to talk to Elisis, he went to the gym area and started training as if there were no tomorrow. He lifted weights randomly, ran, lifted as much weight as he could. That's when Valeros saw Nimbus training and approached, laughing.

— Hey, what are you doing there, Nimbus? You're doing everything wrong; this way, you're going to get hurt.

— Just lifting some weights, I think I need to get stronger to be more efficient in combat.

— Hold on a bit, I'll give you some tips; what you're doing will have the opposite effect of what you want.

Valeros began to explain in detail to Nimbus everything he should do to train properly. He taught about muscle groups, exercises for each muscle group separately, repetitions, and training frequency. He also explained about nutrition – what to eat and what to avoid – to maximize training, essentially what Valeros did in his daily routine to train and achieve the enviable physique he had. Seeing all this, Lonios decided to take a look at what was happening.

— Really? Are you sure about this? — Lonios stopped and looked at Nimbus straining to lift the bar while lying on the bench press.

— Of course, — Nimbus replied when he lifted the weight.

— Just don't get hurt because, from what you said, your job in engineering is tough, and you still have our training, — said Lonios.

— Master, don't worry. I won't go too heavy, — Nimbus replied and continued to lift the weight until he reached his limit, and Valeros helped him.

— That's it, Nimbus, just eight repetitions, nothing more. Just two more sets, and get ready to feel sore for two days, — Valeros seemed happy to teach Nimbus; he probably enjoyed lifting weights a lot.

After a few more exercises, they stopped, and Nimbus went to the quarters in a lot of pain but happy. However, one thing intrigued him: "Who was the man Elisis liked on the ship, because it was clear that there must be someone!"

⸸ ⸸‌ ⸸‌