Chapter 33

Explanations...

They were taken to an island that didn't exist on any map; Lonios knew it, having thoroughly examined the maps of the region. So how was that piece of rock there? It was a small island, no more than a kilometer in length, and it was less than thirty minutes away from the naval battlefield where they had been just moments ago. How had they not spotted it?

When the large ship docked, and everyone was forced to walk on that lifeless piece of rock, Lonios didn't know what to do. His only chance would be to attempt an escape, but when? How would they get out of that place? It was clear they shouldn't take the Brand; it was a ship too slow for an escape against those faster ships under the cursed pirate's control. Once again, he found himself with only one alternative ahead—seize the pirate's own ship, that small and fast frigate. It would undoubtedly be a good getaway vehicle for him and the remaining crew.

And there they were, locked in cages adjacent to each other, inside a cave likely carved by the pirates themselves into the island's lone mountain. With only one option ahead of them—escaping from the pirates and seizing their faster ship. And that was what they were going to do.

– Elisis — Lonios approached the neighboring cell where the female crew members of the Brand were confined, with the men in one cell and the women in another.

– I already know what you're thinking, Sir Lonios — Elisis approached the bars and whispered to her colleague, being careful not to be heard by the guards in the cave. — We have to escape as soon as possible.

– Exactly. Do you have something in mind?

– Of course... — she stopped talking when she noticed one of the guards approaching.

– What are you talking about there? — One of the guards came closer and struck the cell bars with his sword. — Silence, not a peep from you.

Elisis stepped back, smiling at Lonios. Indeed, that girl was more dangerous than Lonios had imagined, just as Sir Adon had mentioned, Amazons are clever. Now it occurred to him that he could no longer seek the advice of that old and wise knight; this journey was exacting high prices, just as Sir Ahbran had commented.

Now all that was left was to wait. If the girl said she had a plan, she did. He decided to approach Nimbus; it was time to have a conversation with the boy and explain everything.

— Nimbus, how do you feel? — the knight approached and spoke low in his apprentice's ear.

— Master, I don't know what happened to me.

— You started to see things moving slowly, didn't you?

— Yes, that's it, how do you know, sir?

— Because I can do it too.

— You can too? Then that explains why you're such a skilled knight.

— It doesn't work as you imagine. My apprentice, I don't use this power all the time; the price to be paid with each use is too high.

— True, those headaches are horrible, and having to be blindfolded is even worse.

— It's not about that, Nimbus. These symptoms you're feeling only happen the first time you use this power. The price for using such a Curse is even greater than simple headaches.

— I don't understand, master, Curse?

— Yes, Nimbus, a curse. — Lonios looked ahead into nothing. — What's your earliest childhood memory?

— I don't know, I think I remember Mrs. Zeliudes holding my arms while I was learning to walk, but it's very vague.

— That's what I'm talking about, Nimbus. That's not what you told me in a conversation with your adoptive mother. You told me you remembered your mother handing you over to Mrs. Zeliudes; don't you remember that anymore?

— No — Nimbus stood still as if staring into nothing, even with his eyes covered. — What happened, why am I not remembering this? — The boy's voice tone changed.

— It's the Curse, Nimbus. Every time you use this power, your distant past memories fade away. — Even without seeing the boy's gaze, the expressions on his face showed his astonishment. — In the first times you use the power, your oldest memories are erased, and the worst part is that you don't know it happened; you just don't remember anymore. There are reports of great warriors who used this power, forgot their entire past, and started wandering the world unable to distinguish allies from enemies. My brother was one of them — Lonios lowered his head as if he was about to cry but held back the tears and continued to speak. — Nimbus, I want you to promise me that you will use this power only as a last resort. Promise me.

Nimbus thought for a moment and then replied:

— I promise, master. Now I understand why you call this power a curse — he remained silent for a few moments and then spoke again. — But how did I learn to do this? Was it part of your training?

— No, Nimbus. Only descendants of pure blood from my lineage develop this curse.

— So you mean you're my relative?

— Not necessarily. The blood of my lineage has been spread widely throughout the world; there are many families. Perhaps you are a distant cousin. But most importantly, Nimbus, is that you are not of pure blood. It would be impossible for someone who is not the child of parents from my lineage to develop this curse.

Once again, the boy fell into thoughtful silence.

— So, how did it happen?

— I can't explain. Maybe the meditation exercises I taught you activated that gene in your body, or something I don't yet understand triggered those abilities. However, one thing is certain: you developed an impossible power.

Lonios chose not to reveal his suspicions for now.

⸸ ⸸‌ ⸸‌