Chapter 19

Surprises...

He was in the gym, reflecting on the fight from days ago, holding with just one hand that nearly five-kilogram object that, months ago, was an unknown entity. Now, he was so accustomed to holding such a weapon that every time he did, it felt like an extension of his own body, a part of his arm.

This was the same sword he used to defeat all the soldiers in his last training session with the ship's guard in the gym, the same weapon with which Valeros broke his nose. He had made a point to memorize every scratch on its blade and the imperfections in the wood of the hilt. This training sword now served as a reminder that, as his master had pointed out, there was always someone better than us at what we do best.

Through the sealed glass window with rounded corners, he observed through the rapidly moving mist outside, an immense gray and red wall rising to the skies and seemingly rotating counterclockwise. It was the centennial storm, right in the middle of the route between Cenferum and the other continents, an impassable obstacle that should be avoided. Surprisingly, it attracted all sorts of creatures and ill-intentioned individuals who took advantage of the natural obstacle to attack unprotected ships and unsuspecting prey.

But, to his surprise, as he sat there on that bench, lost in his thoughts, Valeros entered. Nimbus was almost certain that it was the time when no one trained in that place; it was late at night, almost curfew time. That's why he had chosen it, as one of the few quiet places to contemplate at that hour, inside the ship. Valeros noticed he was there but ignored him and went toward where the training weapons were stored.

Immediately, Nimbus repeated quietly to himself the words his master had taught him the other day.

— Not caring about what others think of me... Not caring about what others think of me... Not caring about what others think of me... — After a few repetitions, he spoke. — Damn, I do care, I'm sorry, master — it was evident that Nimbus wasn't ready yet to absorb this concept. He stood up and approached Valeros, who was already preparing for his training and choosing one of the weapons.

Valeros noticed him approaching and turned to face Nimbus, who was now quite close. Valeros simply crossed his arms and waited.

— This is your sword, if I remember correctly, you made that quite clear the other day — Nimbus approached Valeros, grabbed the sword by the blunt edge, and pointed the hilt towards the boy.

Without saying a word, Valeros took the weapon and supported it with the tip on the floor. Again, he waited for Nimbus to say something more.

— I've only been training for three months, not years, as my master made them believe. I just wanted you to know that. — As Valeros didn't say anything, Nimbus turned and started walking towards the door, until he heard the squire's voice.

— You want me to believe you've been training for only three months? Don't be ridiculous. No one gets that good in such a short time.

Nimbus stopped and spoke over his shoulder.

— It's the truth; I have no reason to lie.

Upon receiving the response, Valeros flashed his mischievous smile, walked to the shelf where the staves were, and tossed one to Nimbus. Before being hit in the back, Nimbus caught it in mid-air.

— If that's true, then prove to me that you learn quickly.

When Nimbus looked back at Valeros, he was also holding a staff.

Before they started, Valeros explained everything he knew about staffs to Nimbus—when to use them, the different types, how to improvise and create one when no other resource is available. After that, Valeros trained some moves with Nimbus, teaching him, demonstrating strikes and defenses in the air, and finally, some real defenses and attacks. Their training lasted a little over an hour, and Valeros spoke only the necessary about the weapon, nothing more. After everything was done, he said:

— Tomorrow, at the same time — he said that and headed for the door, leaving Nimbus standing there, not quite understanding what had happened.

The next day, Nimbus returned to the gym at the same time as the day before, and to his surprise, Valeros showed up again, and they trained just like the day before. It seemed now that Nimbus had one more daily commitment: in the morning, he worked in the engineering cleaning group, after lunch, he trained with Lonios, after that, he studied the topics that the knight forced him to study. During these study hours, he relaxed from his day with conversations and jokes with his friend Jim, and after that, at night, he would train staff usage with Valeros. It was truly an insane routine, making the boy lie down on his bed and, so tired, not even realizing he had fallen asleep.

Days passed, and the squire couldn't bear the physical exhaustion anymore, resulting in him sporting an increasingly deep-set eye bags and losing weight rapidly. His clothes were starting to become quite loose. However, he wouldn't give in and never skipped the training, especially not Valeros's.

Despite not having much talent with the staff, he learned very quickly. But even so, Valeros didn't utter a single word about his personal life, opinions, or any jokes, as was common among boys of that age. He only gave dry explanations about the use of the weapon. One day, Nimbus was particularly inspired, and the two were already exhausted from battling each other until suddenly:

— ENOUGH! — Valeros shouted, and Nimbus almost instantly stopped, not knowing what was happening and why his new teacher was so furious. Had he done something wrong? — I'm terrible with this damn staff — he said, throwing the weapon away. — If I had a sword or a shield, I would have knocked you down a hundred times, just today. My master forced me to use it in combat against you.

Nimbus just stood there, not knowing what to say. For weeks, they had been training together, and Valeros had never said anything other than related to how to use a staff, and now he revealed this. Noticing that Nimbus was silent, Valeros continued.

— You didn't lie; you're learning fast. I wouldn't be surprised if you soon surpassed me in using this crap. I'm really bad with this thing — he let out a smile, another thing he didn't do in Nimbus's presence.

— Thanks for the compliment. — Finally, the boy had recomposed himself and managed to say something.

— So, what's your story? — Valeros asked.

Then Nimbus told his story to him, excluding, of course, the information about which Lonios had requested complete secrecy, like his real name and that he possessed a Diamond Steel sword.

⸸ ⸸‌ ⸸‌

Squire Valeros

Squire Valeros