Chapter 37

Revenge...

Nimbus certainly didn't understand women. Nurse Cristiane had unexpectedly kissed him and then shooed him away. Now, she had taken down the two guards who tried to assault her. Who could have imagined that she was so deadly? All the women on this ship were decidedly dangerous. Now, she was coming towards the cells with the keys in hand; they would be free soon.

— Good job, Cristiane, or should I say, Elisis — Lonios approached and greeted her. Your disguise was perfect.

It couldn't be Elisis; she had been lying in the corner of the cell all this time, Nimbus thought.

— You don't know what makeup and loose hair can do.

— Now I understand why you Amazonas wear this heavy makeup; enemies never know your appearance without it.

— Indeed, as spies, we have to keep our identity secret.

— Where did you get makeup to use on Cris? — Now Cris was standing, looking at everyone. Nimbus found the resemblance to Elisis incredible; they were identical, in that Elisis uniform and with that makeup.

— Amazons always have hiding spots in their uniforms; you never know when camouflage will be necessary — Elisis tied her hair and revealed her beautiful face; now it was possible to notice that it was indeed her. — Now we have to get out of here and take back the Brand.

— We can't take the Brand; we need the Pirate Lord's ship.

— But what about our cargo?

— First, we have to save our lives; then the cargo.

— Sir Lonios, Cenferum needs that cargo; we have to take it at any cost. It's our mission.

— Let's first escape from here; then we can figure out how to do that — Lonios replied and then turned to the crew. — I know I'm asking a lot, but we need everyone who can handle a weapon. Let's fight for our lives. All officers with training in the use of weapons, stand up and lead groups of three or four. Now is the time for you to put into practice what you learned at the academy.

— Jim, remember to stay close to me and use what I taught you — Nimbus approached his friend and hugged him. Jim had been spared by being close to Dr. Henry, but he was in another cell; he had been very lucky indeed.

Jim simply nodded in agreement. Then, Lonios broke open the gate that sealed the arsenal, where his Diamond Steel sword was kept. While Elisis changed clothes with Cristiane and returned to wearing her combat armor, this time without the makeup, Dr. Leonardo carried Valeros along with Cristiane, his last spared nurse. Dr. Henry also grabbed a war axe and took a combat stance. Considering his skill in bar fights, he would do well in this approaching battle. Nimbus could only accompany his master with an immense headache and burning eyes, barely able to keep them open.

— Take, each of you with a weapon, try to use the weapon you performed best with in training — Lonios ordered with a concerned expression.

The hundred who had been spared from the massacre on the Brand armed themselves. Elisis positioned herself at the cave entrance, keeping watch. Valeros seemed to come to his senses, broke free from Dr. and Cristiane, and staggered to where the weapons were. Inside, he grabbed Égipe with his good hand and tied it to the amputated arm, screaming in pain. He tightened the shield enough not to drop it during the fight.

— What are you doing, Valeros? You have to rest.

— I have to fulfill my duty, knight errant. Armed with Égipe this time, I will defeat that damn Pirate Lord — he staggered and almost fell.

— No, you will stay in the rear — Elisis ordered. — Sir Lonios and Nimbus will face the enemy.

— But...

— This is an order from your captain — Elisis ended the conversation, and Valeros staggered to the rear. — Advance! — The girl with more responsibility than she should bear ordered, and her subordinates obeyed without questioning.