Chapter 17

New Best Friends...

After visiting almost every room on the ship, Nimbus realized he still didn't know where he would sleep. So, still a bit uncomfortable with the situation, he went to look for Lonios in his quarters. Walking around the ship was a bit easier for him now. He wondered if he would sleep with Lonios in his quarters. Arriving there, he knocked on the door, and Lonios answered.

— Hey, so he was kind and didn't put you to work today, you're lucky, it's the second time you've escaped — Lonios left the room and closed the heavy metal door behind him.

The boy nodded.

— Follow me, I'll show you the training gym, you'll spend a lot of time there, believe me.

They went down to the second floor, where the gym was located. When they entered, Nimbus saw that the place was huge, also with metal walls and ceiling like the entire ship, but it was about fifteen meters long by ten meters wide. In one corner, there was a tunnel that he didn't know what it was for, and there was an area with weights on shelves. At the other end, there were two wooden platforms. The walls were adorned with hanging weapons, and there were also some shelves with stored weapons.

— This is the Brand's gym, no training with weapons is allowed anywhere else. Understand?

— Yes, sir — Nimbus replied, convincingly.

— Very well, see that tunnel? — he pointed to the space between the two wooden platforms. — That's a tunnel for long-distance combat training; there, you train with a bow or other throwing weapons. Those two wooden platforms that rise there are where you train weapon combat. See how they're elevated? It's a bamboo shell construction with sand underneath, so if you fall there, you'll have a soft landing. On the other side is the physical exercise area; there you lift weights to stay in shape since we don't exert ourselves much inside the ship, do small runs around the area, those things. Later, I'll show you how to train there. Also, since carrying weapons inside the Brand is not allowed, there are several training weapons on the shelves.

Nimbus was as amazed as he was with the explanation the doctor had given him. Everything was very well organized.

— Let's start today's training, then. — Lonios grabbed his sword and headed towards Nimbus. It was close, but he didn't hit the boy, who drew his sword at the last moment and parried the blow.

— Very good, I see you haven't lost your rhythm despite being idle for two weeks — Lonios smiled.

What Lonios didn't know was that Nimbus had trained every day with the sword, practicing with imaginary opponents, as Lonios had taught him. However, he decided not to mention it and accepted the compliment his master had given him. It seemed that Lonios had forgiven him for sneaking into the ship.

— Master, weren't we supposed to fight on the training platforms?

— You're right, let's not break the rules on your first day — the knight smiled and accompanied Nimbus to the training platform.

Lonios was not merciful in this training and pushed Nimbus to his limit during the sword practice, as if it were a form of revenge for the boy sneaking into the ship. Afterward, he took him to the crew's quarters on the third sublevel and introduced him to the lower part of a bunk where he would sleep. There was also a chest at the foot of the bed for Nimbus to store his belongings, which amounted to nothing more than his sword and the change of clothes he was wearing. In the area, there were dozens of bunks, with just over a meter of space to walk between them. Some beds were occupied by sleeping men, and there were no women in the vicinity.

Lonios hastily left him in the area, perhaps having knightly obligations to fulfill. Nimbus was exhausted; after sleeping for a few hours, he noticed movement, noise, and eventually, his bed was shaking. Someone was climbing up to sleep on the top bunk. The place was filled with men getting ready to lie down, and when he looked up, he saw a boy on the top bunk upside down, observing him. He was blond with blue eyes and seemed quite slender.

— Hey, are you the clandestine squire?

Nimbus looked at the boy for a moment and replied:

— I am. Does everyone already know?

— You're famous; not everyone can sneak into a ship and stay hidden for two weeks — the boy replied.

— Not even by accident? — Nimbus leaned back, resting his arms on the bed.

— If it's by accident, you're very lucky — the boy gave a smile so big it almost closed his eyes. — I'm Jaime Tiberius, at your service.

— Nice to meet you, Jaime. I'm Nimbus, Squire to Sir Lonios.

⸸ ⸸‌ ⸸‌

Jim